Update to FROYO without Kies?

Last Updated:

1. elv73

elv73 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Having just purchased my first smart phone last week (Galaxy S) I am having a complete nightmare updating to FROYO with Kies.

I know this has been done to death on this and various other forums but is there any possible way to upgrade the firmware without Kies as ive been trying for 3 nights now but absolutely nothing works to get my phone to connect to Kies :mad:

I have tried every tip and suggestion from this and other forums and all result in my phone telling me its connected but Kies on my PC just spinning away saying trying to connect.

I can connect to my PC in Mass storage mode and transfer files no problem but Kies is just a complete nightmare.

Over the short period of time ive had the phone I think its a fantastic piece of kit and am still learning about all that it can do but am getting seriously frustrated by not being able to do what should be a simple task!:(

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Yes. You can use ODIN. But if you are going to take a risk like that, might as well flash a Custom Rom.

3. ggarland

ggarland Active Member

I have tried to connect with Kies as well with no luck. Capy says it is connected via USB, Kies says there is no device found.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Try this:

Close KIEs. Connect your phone. Wait for the phone to show up in My Computers. Now start KIEs.

Btw, you are in the wrong section. Your phone is a Captivate, not a Galaxy S.

5. akumadiavolo

akumadiavolo New Member

Seriously? The captivate is a Galaxy S phone. If you google Samsung Captivate the first link is samsung.com/galaxys for crying out loud.

6. Jamalsid

Jamalsid Member

you are right but the firmwares are different and there are slight hardware differences between the Galaxy S models. The reason snapper.fishes said you are in the wrong section is because the GT I9000 and the US variants have separate sections in these forums.