• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update! Viper now has a working recovery on ICS

razermc

Apr 26, 2013
Dothan, AL
A few friends over at androidcentral have been picking away at the device after my failed attempts at getting the aboot. one user in particular, Jaegerjaquez69, has suceeded in getting a working and functional TWRP recovery.
Quote:
TWRP is working as far as most of it's features, and I have made a backup of the zvk /system
It's available here
system.ext4.tar.a | system.ext4.tar.a | by Jaegerjaquez for Generic Device
end of quote.

Simply rename the archive from *.tar.a to *.tar and it works fine.

The recovery is located here: recovery.zip | recovery.zip | by Jaegerjaquez for Generic Device
you can flash this using either dd or loki_flash.
for more details, please refer to the thread here ( LG Viper roms? - Page 11 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com ) for information such as what partitions to manipulate and such.

brandonabandon is currently working on a custom rom, and thenameisnigel is working on various thing, last noted fixing CWM IIRC.

The next step is finding devs who like (better yet know how) to work with stock roms in hopes of getting this device outfitted with custom roms and kernels as well as improving the options for recoveries such as a functional CWM (its been a minute, so forgive me if TWRP and CWM are the same, but IIRC they aren't).

Personally, I would love to see a 4.3 or 4.4 rom, but even jellybean would be a big change in things. The unmodability of this device is near its end. Guys, we won a battle today. lets win the war! This little device is pretty decent for its price and makes a good emulation/gamin phone. a few more mods and it could be so much more.

To an admin,
While i realize that this is a correct section for this phone, I have also noticed that the activity for this phone is located at http://androidforums.com/lg-viper-4g/
Please move this thread into that section to avoid confusion and missed views.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones