update.zip method vs nandroid backup?

Last Updated:

1. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is there one method that better then the other when installing a rom that has the choice of both?

and with update.zip method could you still wipe your data before hand to start clean?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Wiping your data before using the update.zip method seems to be a bit self-defeating. NOT having to wipe data is THEE reason for the update.zip method.

3. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

alright was just curious..and thats really the only difference is that one benefit?

4. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Depending ofcourse. It's better to have a clean bill of health then have problems after the update. Also if going to 2.1 or going back down to 2.0.1 then its better to nandroid restore eh. I prefer using the update.zip if its just upgrading to a new version of that rom but if jumping from one rom to another or going to 2.1 i recommend a Nandroid check-up.

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Well, no. There are other benefits to the nandroid restore method. When performing a nandroid "restore", you have the option of which part of the DROID you want to restore. To confuse things, it is entirely possible to do a nandroid restore but uncheck the /data partition, thus emulating the update.zip method somewhat.

I almost always use the nandroid restore method. I like options.

6. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

I've used the update.zip method over a dozen times and had no problems. I used the nandroid method with a wipe only when I installed a 2.1 rom. I had to do another nandroid to go back to a 2.0.1 rom. Other than that it's been all update.zip.

Pete, of Bugless Beast fame, has both methods and recommends neither over the other, as far as I've seen. There are a couple of devs that only do nandroid and they do recommend doing a wipe before each install and then nandroid/data to get your data back.

So, pick the one you like and go with it.

7. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

yeah nandroid cleans the system up, deletes stuff, update.zip does the opposite

8. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Very respectfully disagree with the second half of this statement. Update.zip does nothing to "dirty up" the system. I replaces one rom with another rom. Nothing more, nothing less.