update.zip trouble. Half way there. I think....

Last Updated:

1. kericksomu

kericksomu Member This Topic's Starter

Been trying to update the radio and apply the latest ota , every time I get to apply the update.zip it runs and eventually stops with something similar to the following:

"Can't apply radio"
    (No room on device)
    "Can't apply firmware"
    (No room on device)

Then I can reboot and I get the new droid screen, new widgets, etc. But no wifi, etc. I've done this about 10 times now so I admit I'm bit foggy after 18 hrs of reading and trying to apply froyo.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.

Advertisement
  2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

Wipe before flashing (backup everything before, it will delete all user data from internal phone memory).

3. kericksomu

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, tried that a couple of times. Did it again just now for good times. No luck. Exact last for lines are:

E:Can't write firmware zip
    (No space on device)
    E:Can't write radio image
    (No space on device)

And the flash sequence starts with E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
    but I'm not sure that matters.

4. kejlyCZ

5. kericksomu

I was actually was working off of those xda instructions and read that entire first post. I did wonder if i was unintentionally trying to apply the 2.15.x.x radio. I don't want to do unrevoked forever just yet, so I know I need to do the 2.05.x.x radio. Would applying the wrong radio (assuming I am not applying the radio twice) I have bricked the phone? I have done the unroot, flash to stock, apply update.zip routine several times and my phone has been fine other than the problems in the first post.

Is it strange that I would have been able to install all the rom goodies even though the radio didn't update?

6. kejlyCZ

Which radio version do you have now? As written on XDA, "certain function" won't work without 2.x radio. So, probably update to the newest 2.15.x.x is not needed, if you have some 2.x radio already (2.x was delivered in late 2009, maybe you got it already via OTA).

7. kericksomu

I still have 1.00.03.04.06. That is what is strange. When I applied the update.zip I got the new sense update, but my radio didn't change (also no wifi and some other glitches) I have flashed back to stock, unrooted for the moment.

Is the dinc_ota downloads the 2.05.00.06.11 radio? That is what I have been trying.

8. kejlyCZ

No, PB31IMG is radio and recovery image, dinc_ota is system update (and also radio diff update, but this radio update will be applied just to certain radio versions [probably higher than yours]), it's not-so-well described on XDA.
    So if you have 1.x radio, you have to flash PB31IMG.zip and then dinc_ota.zip (renamed to update.zip).
    I also don't understand, why everything was working with 1.x radion on Froyo, but just let it be and be happy, that you have phone and not a brick. On XDA is written, that "certain function", like camcorder, will not work without 2.x radio. Have you tried camera and video on 2.2?
    I recommend you to flash PB31IMG.zip, wipe and then flash dinc_ota.zip.
    Maybe you can also post a message about 1.x radio and Froyo working on XDA.

9. kericksomu

Ahhhh, ok that helps. The radio diff part of the update is not being applied for some reason? I did do exactly as you described - flash PB31IMG.zip and then dinc_ota.zip, and yes, got all the updates but "certain functions" did not work. That seams strange. No wifi is kind of a deal breaker. I will add that at one time I had moved the update.zip from a mac to my phone, which I have read can be problematic. Since then I did reformat the sdcard and am not using the mac anymore. But I am going to delete everything, reformat the card once more, factory restore and full wipe, and then try once more.

I will follow your suggestion and post on xda and post as well.

Thanks for the help!