• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Updated 11-20-12][BOOTLOADER][Windows][VS920]Bootloader Pwnage Tool for the LG Spectrum 4G

Two parts to this answer.

First, ROM Manager pulls the version number of CWM from a file at /sdcard/clockworkmod/.recovery_version . If I understand it correctly, CWM writes this file when you boot into CWM, but I may be wrong on that. If you want, I can hand you the file that will tell it what ever version number you want it to be.

Second, Rom manager was updated afaik, but you'll be stuck with a non-touch version, unless you pay for touch. It's easier to grab this:
http://androidfiles.massivefilehost.com/cwm_touch/CWM_6.0.4.5_Spec-Assert_fixed.zip
from the same thread D2A mentioned and flash it. It will bring you up to par and you'll still have touch.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the responses. I will not install it from ROM Manager.

I won't mess with the .recovery_version file either, since I was able to boot into recovery and backup the phone with no issues. Just curious since newer usually means better :D

I'm ok with the non-touch version, but since there's a zip to easily flash, I will probably check it out soon enough.

Upvote 0
What can I do if I'm already rooted and tried to install the newest version of CWM through ROM Manager and now I have the "nice to see you again" error when I try to boot into recovery?

Simple.

Download the CWM img from this post. http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...re-android-caf-cm-enhanced-4.html#post6295001

Then copy it over to your sdcard as say... CWM.img

Then adb into your phone (while in your rom) and do the following in order:
su
dd if=/sdcard/CWM.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

you should see something about copying blocks. Once it's down, reboot to recovery.

Upvote 0
Simple.

Download the CWM img from this post. http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...re-android-caf-cm-enhanced-4.html#post6295001

Then copy it over to your sdcard as say... CWM.img

Then adb into your phone (while in your rom) and do the following in order:
su
dd if=/sdcard/CWM.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

you should see something about copying blocks. Once it's down, reboot to recovery.

Question 2, how would I adb into my phone? I should have started off by saying this is my wife's phone and it is rooted but on stock VS920ZV9. I don't know if that changes anything??

Upvote 0
If you're getting the "nice to see you again" error, then you need the LG update tool to turn to stock. When you rooted, you never unlocked the bootloader, and then when you flashed CWM from Rom Manager, you broke the loader chain.

How to fix:

Grab this: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/client/app/B2CAppSetup.exe

Let it update over the internet when you run it the first time.

Go options -> upgrade recovery

Follow the on screen instructions. Stock roms should have no issues getting the program to auto pull the settings, but if you do, just type in your IMEI. Let it do it's thing and make sure you're not on a USB hub and that you're using a quality USB cable.

Because you're already locked out, you'll need to manually put the phone into download mode and most likely will need to manually input the IMEI. I'll warn you now, that doing this wrong can wipe your IMEI, but it's a very low chance.

Upvote 0
If you're getting the "nice to see you again" error, then you need the LG update tool to turn to stock. When you rooted, you never unlocked the bootloader, and then when you flashed CWM from Rom Manager, you broke the loader chain.

How to fix:

Grab this: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/client/app/B2CAppSetup.exe

Let it update over the internet when you run it the first time.

Go options -> upgrade recovery

Follow the on screen instructions. Stock roms should have no issues getting the program to auto pull the settings, but if you do, just type in your IMEI. Let it do it's thing and make sure you're not on a USB hub and that you're using a quality USB cable.

Because you're already locked out, you'll need to manually put the phone into download mode and most likely will need to manually input the IMEI. I'll warn you now, that doing this wrong can wipe your IMEI, but it's a very low chance.

OK, this wont cause me to lose everything on her phone right?

Upvote 0
OK. 2 more questions..... I am still able to boot normally into her phone so can I just leave everything alone??? Her phone wont just stop working if I quit while i'm behind???
If her phone still boots normal (which is even more confusing on how), then re-run the unlock tool. It will reset the boot chain and install CWM 6.0.1.1 . Then boot into recovery and flash this zip to update to the latest recovery.

http://androidfiles.massivefilehost.com/cwm_touch/CWM_6.0.4.5_Spec-Assert_fixed.zip

Reactions: ccic2491
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Possibly coming soon...

g_wJl4xIe07d6NaN17olqZX_v0VSHtnJwjV3jfapnL8

Upvote 0
LG Spectrum VS920 4G

can I use the pwnage tool? I never have rooted before or changed anything. I want the Verizon bloat gone, and I read my phone will be faster. I don't use Bluetooth so thats not a problem I ordered a 32gig sd card only have a 4 gig in now, as I like to keep this phone and use.

So is this easy for me? {NEWBIE}and will I be able to root with this tool?
thanks
Marshall

Upvote 0
Yes, run it once to root, twice to unlock boot loader and install CWM.
Twice root? Wow, I was on stock ZV8 two days ago and tried to root and bootloader but I was surprised in batch script asked again that phone is rooted? I entered Y then root process all over again then I aborted script. I was confused. I copied all img files to SD card then unlocked bootloader in terminal emulator :D I typed all shell commands myself.

Upvote 0
Twice root? Wow, I was on stock ZV8 two days ago and tried to root and bootloader but I was surprised in batch script asked again that phone is rooted? I entered Y then root process all over again then I aborted script. I was confused. I copied all img files to SD card then unlocked bootloader in terminal emulator :D I typed all shell commands myself.

Yeah, it's a little misleading (IMO).

The first time you run it, it asks if you are already rooted. You say no. It finishes up with the rooting process and closes. Then you have to run it again, this time saying Yes to being rooted. This is when it will unlock the bootloader and install CWM.

Most people have problems with this because they don't actually do it twice like that.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's a little misleading (IMO).

The first time you run it, it asks if you are already rooted. You say no. It finishes up with the rooting process and closes. Then you have to run it again, this time saying Yes to being rooted. This is when it will unlock the bootloader and install CWM.

Most people have problems with this because they don't actually do it twice like that.
Which is what my gui is aiming to fix

Reactions: bones420la
Upvote 0
This is what I'm getting when I run this tool, I'm rooted but It wont flash CWM. I've extracted the files to C: and ran it as an administrator too. Any other suggestions???

16 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
3108 KB/s (28873091 bytes in 9.070s)
2 KB/s (2761 bytes in 1.000s)
[*] Remounting /system....
Flashing Bootloader!
1280+0 records in
1280+0 records out
5242880 bytes (5.0MB) copied, 0.873687 seconds, 5.7MB/s
Flashing CWM Recovery....
1339+1 records in
1339+1 records out
5486592 bytes (5.2MB) copied, 1.170899 seconds, 4.5MB/s
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.754425 seconds, 1.3MB/s
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.079163 seconds, 12.6MB/s
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.305267 seconds, 3.3MB/s
1280+0 records in
1280+0 records out
5242880 bytes (5.0MB) copied, 1.673584 seconds, 3.0MB/s
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0MB) copied, 0.624146 seconds, 1.6MB/s
2125+1 records in
2125+1 records out
8706048 bytes (8.3MB) copied, 1.584411 seconds, 5.2MB/s
Done!
rm failed for /system/etc/fota_post_boot_up.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/gpscfg/*, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/recovery-from-boot.p, No such file or directory
[*] Cleaning up....
[*]
[*]
[*] All done
Press any key to continue . . .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones