• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [UPDATED! 12/01/2012 BETA 4] Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich by mikegapinski

I have just downloaded and installed this version.
In general things look quite impresive but there are still a few problems to mention:
1) the call button does not seem to take me to the new call screen...
2) the bluetooth headset seems to connect but I can't seem to be heering anything...
3) the general response of the phone seems somewhat slow. I don't know if this is simply because the 540gt is using a week processor or there is something that can be done here...

Besides that things look quite cool.
I hope you will have time to fix this issues for the next beta.

Thanks
Tzachi

Upvote 0
how to repair the market; do not download anything

Sorry about the delayed post, Mike has fixed the market problem and it will be included in the next update, which could be anytime (was a 50% chance of it today, but it looks like he decided not to) in the mean time the only way to install apps is through adb, download app you want from a file sharing website then connect your phone to your PC, open cmd, and browse to the file with the adb.exe file (its in dudeman's files for swiftdroid) then type "adb install *file name*.apk and it will install the app.

Or you can use titanium backup, just use adb to install titanium then you can restore apps from your backup.

I have just downloaded and installed this version.
In general things look quite impresive but there are still a few problems to mention:
1) the call button does not seem to take me to the new call screen...
2) the bluetooth headset seems to connect but I can't seem to be heering anything...
3) the general response of the phone seems somewhat slow. I don't know if this is simply because the 540gt is using a week processor or there is something that can be done here...

Besides that things look quite cool.
I hope you will have time to fix this issues for the next beta.

Thanks
Tzachi

1. can you expand on this please?
2. I have not known any problems with BT headset, but i'll try to get info.
3. to solve this go to settings, developer options, check force GPU rendering and under window animation scale and transition animation scale set them both to "Animation off" and the UI will be super smooth.

The market is not functioning and there is no file explorer or root explorer...some help with this;

If you used titanium backup to backup swiftdroid you can restore root explorer, the only downside is that it will restore it as a system app.

Use this link to download the latest version of Titanium, install through adb (because there is no explorer at all.)

http://matrixrewriter.com/android/fi...kup_latest.apk

EDIT: dont forget if you wanna restore a CM7 nandroid backup remember to resize partitions, just had a partial brick because I forgot to but could restore ICS.

And if you do roll back if you get a blue handler error on boot after a restore just restore ICS or boot to fastboot change partition sizes and restore again.

Reactions: markonpower11
Upvote 0
i downloaded and updated it, when i booted for the first time it didnt get past the LG gt540 swift droid logo, and when i take out the battery and turn it back on it still doesnt get past that logo, how do i fix it?

If your phone still comes up with the SwiftDroid logo, then you've done something wrong and ICS isn't installed.. Try again

Upvote 0
i downloaded and updated it, when i booted for the first time it didnt get past the LG gt540 swift droid logo, and when i take out the battery and turn it back on it still doesnt get past that logo, how do i fix it?

You shouldn't have the swiftdroid logo, are you sure you flashed boot.img? you need to flash a new boot image everytime you flash a new rom.

Upvote 0
1. can you expand on this please?
2. I have not known any problems with BT headset, but i'll try to get info.
3. to solve this go to settings, developer options, check force GPU rendering and under window animation scale and transition animation scale set them both to "Animation off" and the UI will be super smooth.

1. As for the first issue: when I press on the dial button (the one on the left with the phone picture on it) the dialer application does not start runnig. As a result the only way for me to make a call is to "manually" run the phone application.
2. OK, I'm waiting for your update.
3. Things indeed go much better with this settings. I believe that you should make it the default settings in the next release.
4. I have also noticed that I can not enable my wifi network. when I try to enable it, it just stays in "enabeling mode" but never finishes it.

Thanks again for the good work.
Tzachi

Upvote 0
1. As for the first issue: when I press on the dial button (the one on the left with the phone picture on it) the dialer application does not start runnig. As a result the only way for me to make a call is to "manually" run the phone application.
3. Things indeed go much better with this settings. I believe that you should make it the default settings in the next release.
4. I have also noticed that I can not enable my wifi network. when I try to enable it, it just stays in "enabeling mode" but never finishes it.

Tzachi

1. Not sure if that's an actual bug or not.. We'll find out when the next release comes out.

4. There's a fix for that in the first post.

Just to let you know, none of us here are actually the developers of this ROM. We're just posting it on the forums and helping people out :p

Upvote 0

Tzachi

1. You need to use the soft call button above the hard one on the screen.

2. Nothing yet from xda, if other people here could try BT headests out it would be awesome, I dont wanna put it on the bug tracker if its an isolated incedent.

3. andreno is fully fixed for the next release so it will not be a problem (it was an andreno and 3d problem making the animations lag)

4. Use the Wifi fix in the OP and it should work.

Upvote 0
hmmm - I seemed to have got stuck on the swiftdroid screen ...unsure of where to go from here - I used your installer Dudeman and it downloaded cleanly (Nicely done I might add, very professional) but when it goes to reboot it just hangs on the swiftdroid screen? Any thoughts on what this idiot(i.e. me) has done wrong

Worked out that I should not have had swiftdroid Rolled it back to 2.1 using KDZ and attempted to reinstall and it now hangs on the LG logo after reboot ...thinking about it do I need to re-root the phone maybe?

Cheers
Greg

Upvote 0
hmmm - I seemed to have got stuck on the swiftdroid screen ...unsure of where to go from here - I used your installer Dudeman and it downloaded cleanly (Nicely done I might add, very professional) but when it goes to reboot it just hangs on the swiftdroid screen? Any thoughts on what this idiot(i.e. me) has done wrong

Worked out that I should not have had swiftdroid Rolled it back to 2.1 using KDZ and attempted to reinstall and it now hangs on the LG logo after reboot ...thinking about it do I need to re-root the phone maybe?

Cheers
Greg

Boot connect your phone to your pc and boot into fastboot (camera button when you power on) open cmd, cd to the folder with the fastboot program and use the commands:

fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

This will erase all user data and should solve your bootloop.

Upvote 0
Boot connect your phone to your pc and boot into fastboot (camera button when you power on) open cmd, cd to the folder with the fastboot program and use the commands:

fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

This will erase all user data and should solve your bootloop.

Morning and thanks for the reply - Completed the steps and it confirmed but still stuck on the LG logo (It starts with a plain LG does it's colour bit and then goes back to the plain LG) I had a couple of attempts and when running in the command line it doesn't seem to be able to write the main image file as the folder is invalid (This flashes up really quick so I've not been able to capture it - self taught sorry so I'm sure there is a way)

From the above I think it's failed to install the actual image grrr

I've just removed the SD card and sim as well to no change - Will google on how to capture the cmd screen line by line

Upvote 0
Morning and thanks for the reply - Completed the steps and it confirmed but still stuck on the LG logo (It starts with a plain LG does it's colour bit and then goes back to the plain LG) I had a couple of attempts and when running in the command line it doesn't seem to be able to write the main image file as the folder is invalid (This flashes up really quick so I've not been able to capture it - self taught sorry so I'm sure there is a way)

From the above I think it's failed to install the actual image grrr

I've just removed the SD card and sim as well to no change - Will google on how to capture the cmd screen line by line

In your case I would use fastboot to install then you can see any error.

Boot to fastboot with usb connected, and use the commands:

fastboot -w
fastboot.exe erase system
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img

any errors will show and you can copy em here.

I would imagine its partition sizes, ICS needs a 200MB system partition lemme know what errors you get and i'll tell you what to do.

Upvote 0
In your case I would use fastboot to install then you can see any error.

Boot to fastboot with usb connected, and use the commands:

fastboot -w
fastboot.exe erase system
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img

any errors will show and you can copy em here.

I would imagine its partition sizes, ICS needs a 200MB system partition lemme know what errors you get and i'll tell you what to do.

Error attached - still seems to fail on the image flash ...(Appreciate the help)

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot -w
erasing 'userdata'... OKAY
erasing 'cache'... OKAY

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot.exe erase system
erasing 'system'... OKAY

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (180458 KB)... FAILED (data transfer failure (Too many links))

C:\Android\ICS>

Upvote 0
Error attached - still seems to fail on the image flash ...(Appreciate the help)

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot -w
erasing 'userdata'... OKAY
erasing 'cache'... OKAY

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot.exe erase system
erasing 'system'... OKAY

C:\Android\ICS>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (180458 KB)... FAILED (data transfer failure (Too many links))

C:\Android\ICS>

I would change partition sizes using this tool http://kulkoff.com/swift/downloads/SwiftBootloaderBuilder.zip

Connect your phone through fastboot, then open the bootloader builder exe, under system set it to 200 then click "Flash new bootloader", then click wipe data and finally reboot device, this will change your system partition to 200MB, then try flashing again (I would siggest fastboot again so you can see errors.)

Also Beta 3 is in upload (recovery version)

Changelog is here Mike Gapinski Android Development | AndroidUS.pl Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Beta 3 Recovery.zip here http://adf.ly/4TozY

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I would change partition sizes using this tool http://kulkoff.com/swift/downloads/SwiftBootloaderBuilder.zip

Connect your phone through fastboot, then open the bootloader builder exe, under system set it to 200 then click "Flash new bootloader", then click wipe data and finally reboot device, this will change your system partition to 200MB, then try flashing again (I would siggest fastboot again so you can see errors.)

Also Beta 3 is in upload (recovery version)

Changelog is here Mike Gapinski Android Development | AndroidUS.pl Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Beta 3 Recovery.zip here Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: CyanogenMod-9.0.0-RC0-OPTIMUS-BETA3_Mike_Gapinski.zip

Cheers

I tried to repartition and reinstall but if kept failing at the same point

I'll await Beta 3 and try again - Maybe the phone has had enough of being changed for a while - on the upside I'm getting great experience in using this

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones