• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated[13.2.12] Discuss all Samsung Galaxy S III rumors/release date/speculation/news

Tegra2 and Exynos had some issue with LTE radios last year, but still Samsung managed to make LTE tab 10.1 with tegra2. So that doesn't mean they will have the same issue with LTE this year going forward. I heard Samsung said last year that their next versions of Exynos will fully support LTE radios. They also reconfirmed it unofficially recently.

Given how big deal LTE is even in Asia, I think these big guys are well aware how important it is to make sure their chips are LTE compatible, and it will be silly to make processors working with only 3G these days.

As for SGSIII on verizon, I feel your concern as they are using CDMA. So it remains to be seen if new Exynos can also support verizon CDMA/LTE network. They might go with Krait S4 for verizon, but that's still giant leap from S3 snapdragon of last year.

from how I understand it... but at times it is confusing but I think I have it straight

Current Tegra 3 quad cannot do CDMA and LTE. So, they are out. Rumor is they are working on that right now.

Huawei has a self made quad core and it cannot do CDMA or LTE. it is in their Ascend D Quad

The original chip announced for the SGS3 Exynos 4412 would not play with VZW either.

Now rumors of the Exynos 5 which might be able to play BUT is that the chip in the actual SGS3... seems varying info plus is that not built on old architecture

SO.. 1 of the keys of this phone is quad core. That is the next top technology. If the SGS3 comes to VZW with anything less than a quad, it is worthless to me and not what I fell in love with and I will not want it. But that is the kind of crap that happens with VZW.

Upvote 0
SO.. 1 of the keys of this phone is quad core. That is the next top technology. If the SGS3 comes to VZW with anything less than a quad, it is worthless to me and not what I fell in love with and I will not want it. But that is the kind of crap that happens with VZW.

it's already been shown that a quad a9 cpu isn't all that impressive compared to the new snapdragon. expect the same kind of butt kicking by dual a15's.

44391.png
quad a9 is the last thing we should hope for imo

Upvote 0

Agreed.
Unfortunately this phone has to be markerted for the masses and its going to be difficult to market dual a15's over quad a9's when the general consumer instantly assumes the quads will be better. As much as I would love to see A15's, Samsung are a business and they want good profit margins which means making a phone that they can market to the consumers.

Not my area of expertise but they are likely to get more sales if they went the quad a9 route, as it will appeal more to the general consumer while the more tech savvy of us will either settle or wait for their a15's so they won't lose many of us to the competition.

Upvote 0
Agreed.
Unfortunately this phone has to be markerted for the masses and its going to be difficult to market dual a15's over quad a9's when the general consumer instantly assumes the quads will be better. As much as I would love to see A15's, Samsung are a business and they want good profit margins which means making a phone that they can market to the consumers.

Not my area of expertise but they are likely to get more sales if they went the quad a9 route, as it will appeal more to the general consumer while the more tech savvy of us will either settle or wait for their a15's so they won't lose many of us to the competition.

on one hand, i agree with you completely. on the other..take a look at comments from people who don't really know what they're talking about. all they see is quad core and the first knee jerk reaction is.."why do i need that?! the battery won't last for more than an hour!"

all they'd probably need to do is tout it's power and battery life capabilities and it'd be enough

then again, it's not like the 32nm chips are anything to slouch off

Upvote 0
Current Tegra 3 quad cannot do CDMA and LTE. So, they are out. Rumor is they are working on that right now.

Huawei has a self made quad core and it cannot do CDMA or LTE. it is in their Ascend D Quad

The original chip announced for the SGS3 Exynos 4412 would not play with VZW either.

Now rumors of the Exynos 5 which might be able to play BUT is that the chip in the actual SGS3... seems varying info plus is that not built on old architecture

How do you know quad core can't work with LTE? Since when number of cores in processor had anything to do with communication with radio chip? This year is still very young and it could be simply they are waiting on new Qualcomm 3G/4G chip (like MDM9615) to couple with new quad core processors. Or they can develop their own LTE chip for that.

As for the quad vs dual in performance, it's the architecture of process that really matters, not just number of cores. Dual A15 processor will run circle around quad A9 processors. I bet Krait S4 will come very close to quad core 4412 if not better.

Reactions: Wontfinishlast
Upvote 0
44391.png

To be fair though, those benchmarks were comparing a production tablet running Tegra 3 (a different SKU, even) to a Krait MDP.

The perceivable difference between the Tegra 3 in the One X and the Krait in the One XL/S is negligible:

44430.png

44432.png

Not to mention T3's GPU is generally better at 720p than the Adreno 225, and nVidia's DirectTouch (gimmick? :p) will probably give you a bit better user experience, I'm struggling to find a really compelling reason to favor one over the other.

Upvote 0
Would love the S3 to run with A15. Though I doubt it will. Mainly because it won't be ready in time. The sooner the S3 comes out the more phones it will sell. Of the tens of millions of Galaxy buyers what percentage know what chip or GPU is in the phone? I would say less than 1%. We people on here are a small minority. Saying a phone is "quad core" is enough for Samsung to sell phones. They will go with that. For the sakes of the < 1%, I hope I am wrong.

Upvote 0
To be fair though, those benchmarks were comparing a production tablet running Tegra 3 (a different SKU, even) to a Krait MDP.

The perceivable difference between the Tegra 3 in the One X and the Krait in the One XL/S is negligible:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5584/44430.png[/ IMG]
[IMG]http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5584/44432.png[/ IMG]

Not to mention T3's GPU is generally better at 720p than the Adreno 225, and nVidia's DirectTouch (gimmick? :P) will probably give you a bit better user experience, I'm struggling to find a [I]really[/I] compelling reason to favor one over the other.[/QUOTE]

not that it matters since the one x is benching close to the mdp, but ok, fair enough. we'll have to see what the bench's look like once the phones release with updated drivers. i have a feeling we'll want the 28nm cpu over the 40nm cpu though.

Upvote 0
Guys, I wouldn't pay any attention to the Anandtech's results based on samples sent by Qualcomm.

I remember them doing this before the Sensation was released and the results looked amazing until we actually got the Sensation and realised they were worthless.

you looked at the benchmarks right? the one s even beat the mdp in a few benchmarks.

Upvote 0
it's already been shown that a quad a9 cpu isn't all that impressive compared to the new snapdragon. expect the same kind of butt kicking by dual a15's.

you wrongly assumed I cared about it from a cheesy benchmark standpoint.

I don't.

I care about it more for the 5th core that the 4 cores hand off to to handle lower level processes and thus, better battery life system usage and multi-tasking.

I don't give a shizzzz about those korny benchmarks.

Upvote 0
How do you know quad core can't work with LTE? Since when number of cores in processor had anything to do with communication with radio chip? This year is still very young and it could be simply they are waiting on new Qualcomm 3G/4G chip (like MDM9615) to couple with new quad core processors. Or they can develop their own LTE chip for that.

How do we know? because the companies said so, that is how.

NVIDIA officially developing LTE for Tegra 3 devices

AT&T&#8217;s HTC One X lost the Tegra 3 due to LTE incompatibility - SlashGear

Huawei unveils quad-core Ascend D smartphone - FierceWireless "The device supports UMTS and HSPA+ networks, but not LTE."

convinced?

Quad core makers are working on LTE compatible chips - Nvida, Samsung, Huwei

Upvote 0
you wrongly assumed I cared about it from a cheesy benchmark standpoint. I don't. I care about it more for the 5th core that the 4 cores hand off to to handle lower level processes and thus, better battery life system usage and multi-tasking. I don't give a shizzzz about those korny benchmarks.

ok?

i'm willing to bet a 28nm s4 will get better battery life than the 40nm tegra 3 though. 5th core or not

How do we know? because the companies said so, that is how. convinced? Quad core makers are working on LTE compatible chips - Nvida, Samsung, Huwei

the number of cores has nothing to do with being lte compatible.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If only they went the HTC One x/xl route with releasing two models.
A 4412 model and a 5250 model....they got no reason to though :(

I agree, they have more reasons to avoid it than go with it. That would mean yet another variant of phone to have production lines for, more product support staff, more QA testing, and having to work with the FCC and carriers for compliance testing. Also it increases customer confusion, because the vast majority of people will not know the difference, even if you explain it as simply as 'this phone has a quad core A9 and this one has a dual core A15'.

And that all costs money to implement and may cause the customer to be confused enough to go to another manufacturer's handset or the iPhone. Maybe they will wait to see how HTC fairs before trying it.

Upvote 0
Latest rumour is that it may be released this Friday!

Samsung Galaxy S3 set for shock March 30th UK launch? | T3

Obviously, it might not be for the S3, but I've never seen a phone shop cover their entire window like this unless it's for something big.

http://www.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/...laxy-s-iii-phones-4u-oxford-street-window.jpg

Supposedly the shop reported that they are remodeling and adding a dedicated Samsung section. Looks like the wait continues... :rolleyes:

Reactions: zanza
Upvote 0
Anyone seen this yet?

The true specs of the sg3 ??

Samsung Galaxy S III Leaks with Impressive Specs | PhoneRPT.com - News, Reviews, Specs, Release Dates

The phone will be packed with dynamic 1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor, enormous 4.8-inch display with full HD 1080p resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio, fine 2-megapixel front-facing camera and 8-megapixel rear camera, endurable ceramic case, modern 4G LTE connectivity and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on top of it all.

What do yah reckon? legit?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones