• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated[13.2.12] Discuss all Samsung Galaxy S III rumors/release date/speculation/news

They Are reporting that the SGS3 will be released sometime next month, they've already filmed a commercial and everything. They're just testing it on 4g.I'm hoping this is true because then I'm gonna start saving my money to get an unlocked phone.of course I dunno what their plans are releasing the phone in the uk and US.

Anyone know what this 'edge-to-edge' thing they're doing is?i assumed its the screen without the bezel.

Upvote 0
this would literally put Apple out of business imo

No, it wouldn't, not even close. Everyone should know by now that the people who buy Apple products aren't tech nerds drooling over specs. There are several tablets and tons of phones that offer far better specs than an iPad or an iPhone, but they don't sell 1/10th of what the Apple products do...

Are those specs on the S3 confirmed?

Upvote 0
Why are almost all of the tech sites I've seen assuming the S3 screen will be 1080? Are there some strong rumours for this?

I find it highly unlikely for a few reasons.

The main reason is the Galaxy Nexus just came out with a 720 pentile display from Samsung. It's a bit early for Samsung to then pull off a 1080, especially seeing as they'd prefer to release the phone with an AMOLED Plus.

The 1080 would also suck juice like a whitehouse intern. Again, I can't see them sacrificing battery for 1080.

And last but not least, it's really not necessary, 720 on a small screen is plenty, so why sacrifice things such as battery to go 1080 instead of 720. I doubt the eye could really see much difference between a 1080 and a 720 and I'm sure it wouldn't be a deal breaker for many potential purchasers as 720 would be a big upgrade from the S2.

Upvote 0
Why are all the tech sites I've seen assuming the S3 screen will be 1080? Are there some strong rumours for this?

I find it highly unlikely for a few reasons.

The main reason is the Galaxy Nexus just came out with a 720 pentile display from Samsung. It's a bit early for Samsung to then pull off a 1080, especially seeing as they'd prefer to release the phone with an AMOLED Plus.

The 1080 would also suck juice like a whitehouse intern. Again, I can't see them sacrificing battery for 1080.

And last but not least, it's really not necessary, 720 on a small screen is plenty, so why sacrifice things such as battery to go 1080 instead of 720. I doubt the eye could really see much difference between a 1080 and a 720 and I'm sure it wouldn't be a deal breaker for many potential purchasers as 720 would be a big upgrade from the S2.

I'd agree, 1080 on a phone? Not sure "most" people could tell the diff. 480 to 720 is a big diff, but not sure about 1080. Any way to compare the two fairly 720 vs. 1080 "on a phone" I know when stretched to 60 inches, 1080 is obviously a difference.

Upvote 0
I think BGR first put it out and everyone just got hooked on it. I'm also skeptical of 1080p screen on SIII. It's way higher than retina resolution, so perceived sharpness benefit would be minimal if any. Not worth of sacrificing battery life and GPU performance. Going from pentile HD SAMOLED like Nexus to HD SAMOLED plus would be enough marketing wise.

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy S III design finalized, claims tipster
Samsung Galaxy S III design finalized, claims tipster

Without a doubt, the Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy S II smartphones were pretty cool from many aspects when they were announced. However, that both otherwise high-end devices were made out of plastic was somewhat disappointing. Thankfully, the Samsung Galaxy S III might set a new standard as the smartphone will sport a ceramic body, if rumors are to be believed. Furthermore, Eldar Murtazin now claims that the design of the Samsung Galaxy S III has been finalized, suggesting that production of the device is ready to kick off.

But the ceramic casing is expected to be only one of the device's several premium features. Rumors claim that the smartphone will be only 7 millimeters thick, yet packed with processing power delivered by a quad-core processor. The display on the Galaxy S III is rumored to be 4.8 inches in diagonal and will most likely sport HD resolution.

No wonder that carriers are already very interested in offering the Samsung Galaxy S III. According to Murtazin, a record number of Galaxy S III units have already been reserved by carriers and retailers, which makes it the most pre-ordered Galaxy smartphone to date. Last but not least, Eldar reassures us that the smartphone should be out by June of this year. Now who is getting one?

source: Eldar Murtazin

aka full of ****

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones