[Updated] Atrix 4G rooted!

1. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

The phone in this video is a display/convention phone.

When he connected it and selected Entertainment mode (As opposed to Webtop mode) and began to scroll through the windows the Webtop window wasn't present. When I connect my phone I have the option for webtop as well as the option to skip to it while in Entertainment mode unlike this video..

So yes, that video is wrong.
  2. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

By unboxing do you mean retail unboxing?

As I only had tech install kits which will not have the same stuff that the retail kits will have. Retail media kits I believe should have MicroHDMI 2 HDMI cables for your media dock. I do not believe the phone comes with a HDMI cable you have to purchase that separate or with the media dock kit. **Update** The retail phone only box I've been told does come with a MicroHDMI to HDMI cable.
    parks likes this.
  3. Motofreaky!

Motofreaky! Member

Sweet! Thanks for clarifying that. I'm not sure I want to part with $129 for the dock and I don't need to part with $189 either as I already have a wireless keyboard & mouse. But I would like to see webtop in action 1st, and then decide.

Thanks!!
  4. tical2k

tical2k Well-Known Member

well... I have titanium backup on my backflip... what are the odds now i can do a seemless restore from my backflip's backup? I say good? Question though, why does the image only show 2gb internal storage?
  5. tical2k

tical2k Well-Known Member

As a backflip user until about 3pm this coming monday ;-), I'd say custom roms are surely on the way. Like its been said though, mostly they will be based on OEM, so I'd doubt we'd get ginger much sooner than moto puts it out due to kernel. On the backflip, people have attempted to remove motoblur on their roms. I just kept it though and did some OCing.

I'm curious how the code handles the 2 cores though. Not sure.

More and more I'm reminded of the nofx song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOE6YWLlGw

just add "Atrix" in there every other word.... :D
  6. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

Because test phones came with no internal SD cards and it is my personal one.
    :p
    tical2k likes this.
  7. zizo79

zizo79 Well-Known Member

Are you guys still working on the bootloader ?
    I like your avatar from Asterix
  8. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

If you go to the link in the OP you will see that its has been confirmed that the Atrix has an encrypted bootloader. No custom kernels for the ATRIX just like every Moto phone since the milestone.
  9. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

Bootloader is encrypted "Signed".. head over to XDA and original post for more info.

I loved Asterix and Obelix growing up!!

ALSO- I was told a micro HDMI cable does come with the retail phone only kit.

/thumbsup
    jroc and aztooh like this.
  10. zizo79

zizo79 Well-Known Member

Did watch them in french ? I grew up watching them as well
  11. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Heck yeah! We used to watch Astrix in french class in high school...
  12. Battleship

Battleship Member

The OP was revised; the bootloader is signed, not encrypted.
  13. kenio8185

kenio8185 Well-Known Member

Sorry to sound ignorant or stupid, but umm... what does that mean? Like I know what the bootloader is, and I was hoping to flash the phone once I got it since it seems that motorola is intent on butchering their phone (in respect to software). However, what's the difference between signed and encrypted?
  14. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

15. ddkid44

ddkid44 Member

Is it even worth it to root the Atrix? I mean it voids the warranty and i'm not even sure if I want to spend $5 a month and I believe a $125 deductible on a $500 retail price for the Atrix.
  16. kenio8185

I'm pretty sure you can easily unroot a phone, and no one would know the difference.
  17. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Active Member

You sir FOUND a golden ticket!

What is an Encypted Bootloader and What does it Mean? - xda-developers
  18. kenio8185

That doesn't go into very much detail on what a signed bootloader is, but it does talk about it a bit.

So if I understood it correctly (and I may not have), but is a signed bootloader just a bootloader with kind of a key, and the phone won't properly boot unless it see's that key? The bootloader in this case would be easy to change, but if the key isn't there, then the phone just won't boot.

An encrypted bootloader would then be a bootloader encrypted so that it's difficult itself to get rid of or change. However, if you do manage to change it, you don't need a key to boot up the phone.

Am I correct at all there?
  19. jreedar

jreedar Active Member

Thanks Getaphixx, Designgears and youareme7 for your work on making this happen!

I do have one question and this may be perfectly clear once I get my phone Tuesday, but in the instructions on the section that says:
    Where do you get the Motorola drivers for the computer? Are they included on a disc with the phone or from a download from Motorola?

Thanks again.
  20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

21. kpenning

kpenning Well-Known Member

22. jreedar

jreedar Active Member

Thanks that answers my question.
  23. tatiana320

tatiana320 Active Member

Hi, thanks for the instructions on how to root the phone. I wanted to know if you would also let us know when you have uploaded a how to video on how to Root the motorola atrix please. Thanks:)
  24. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

"Now, the bad news: the bootloader remains firmly locked and presumably encrypted given Moto's track record, so custom kernels are still just a dream"

So whats the difference between "rooting" and "custom kernels"?
  25. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Rooting gives you permissions to do things you normally wouldn't be allowed to do ( think administrative rights in Windows ). Custom kernel would be new firmware. In my current case, I have froyo on a phone that only saw an official donut release.
    HyperM3 likes this.