• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

updated but still have the ninja

karmagedon

Feb 6, 2010
so i did the force update from the top sticky. i am definitely updated to the official rom

firmware - 2.1 update 1
build - ese81

i still have the ninja, but no root. what happened? i tried factory reset, but he's still there. any ideas on what i should do? i want to make sure i'm squeaky clean with the new rom.

I remember a similar thread back when the Sholes/DroidMod thing was going on... seemed that after returning to "stock", the ninjas were still there but eventually disappeared after a few reboots. I didn't follow the thread to see if anyone came to any logical conclusions, but the thread may still be there at droidmod...

Upvote 0
From what i remember, the su was installed through sdk right? So i would think that it would have to be removed the same way? Being that you forced updated it and not ota, you may not have completely gotten rid of root. i would root again, either removing or not installing su ( if possible), and then force load the official 2.1. just a s.w.a.g

if i root, i'll damn sure not go back to this stock rom. cyanogen's latest roms smokes this thing up and down. i guess that's what i'm about to investigate. i'm so let down. this thing lags just as much as 2.0.1. i wish i just never updated.

Upvote 0
Do a Google search for "how to remove Superuser.apk" and you'll see several threads on how to do it. Basically, you have to root your phone again and remove the Superuser.apk using the terminal emulator app found in the Market.

I requires a series of commands that need to be followed precisely in order to remove the Ninja. Prior to the 2.1 upgrade, I decided to revert back to the 2.0.1 original rom. After rebooting, I too noticed the Ninja character. I was able to remove it and updated to 2.1 this morning.

The app doesn't do anything now that you are unrooted. However, I removed it just in case I need to take my phone in to Verizon and they by some random chance happen to notice the app, which could trigger them to void my warranty. It is a longshot that would happen, but I wanted to make sure it didn't.

If you already on 2.1, not sure if you can still root or you'll have to wait for an update.zip that roots your phone.

Good luck to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones