Updated Droid to 2.2 now terrible reception

Last Updated:

1. nomadz

nomadz New Member This Topic's Starter

So 2 weeks ago, i updated my droid to Froyo/2.2 and my reception has went in the toilet. I can't even talk in my house anymore... Can anyone help.

I didn't do an OTA update, i followed a website that was for VZW which is my carrier and said it was the same update. No custom roms or any custom software....

MIN 3309909987 (not my phone number)
    PRL 40067
    Signal Strength -83 dBm 0 asu
    Mobile network type CDMA - EvDo rev .A

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Have you done a *228 option 2? That's where I would start...

3. nomadz

i've tried that on more than one occasion since this has happened and it hasnt helped. It's really weird, i used to get full signal in my basement or in my garage, now my call drops very often.. I have dropped less than 10 calls since i've gotten my droid before 2 weeks ago.. Since i've done the udpate i drop 2-4 calls a day usually while i'm sitting still in my office or in my parking garage.

4. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member

What baseband are you on? (Settings--> About Phone)

5. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem, except now the caller on the other end can not hear me at all and thinks the call has ended. I can hear them fine. I did the *228 and it has not helped at all. I am going to call Verizon and see if they can help me. The closest store for me to travel to for help is almost 2 hours away.

6. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

this happened to me when we went from 2.0.1 to 2.1 and then I decided to root so I could pick my baseband and doing that, I got some better reception back. so, 1 fix is to change basebands and that requires root.

7. nomadz

Baseband Version
    C_01.43.01P
    Kernal Version
    2.6.32.9-g103d848
    android-build@apa26 #1
    Build FRG01B

8. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

That is the latest baseband file.

If you haven't performed a Factory Reset after loading the update to 2.2, I would do that. Then you will be asked to make the activation call, which will reset your prl, and reprogram your phone to all the correct network settings.

9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

but the "latest" does not mean it is the best for you and your area. My buddy and I, living 2 blocks apart with Droids, had 2 different basebands and he got better signal in my house - I even took photos to prove it at the time.

So, point is, in root, with Rom Manager, you can select and try different basebands and just because it is the newest it is better. try some, find out on your own what works. I did and found the "official" C_01.43.01P, as there was another C_01.43.01P that was different they found out, works better for me.

10. nomadz

Going to try a factory reset as I really DO NOT want to ROOT this phone...