Updated GalaxyS to FroyoGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Freakadroidz

Freakadroidz New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

I just updated my Galaxy S to Froyo & I have to admit, menu switching & screen switchin are slower than 2.1 on the same phone!
    Swype has slowed down...
    Disappoints.....:(:(

Internet access seems much faster though...

Haven't tested GPS yet.

Anyone notice the same?

Advertisement
  2. thehotbreadguy

thehotbreadguy Member

I've noticed the exact same, and it's real frustrating. I'd appreciate input from anyone how to rectify this. Lag fix? Does it work on 2.2?

3. atif.ilyas

atif.ilyas New Member

I don't have tilt sensor problem before but after upgrading the android operating system 2.2 to my SGS. I installed through Samsung Kies but after it has auto-rotate problem many times. If i go to *#0*# testing mode and select testing sensors then auto rotate is working great. But in google and other many navigation softwares it is not working good now even without installing any third party softwares.
    I don't know this happened after upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2. Even I do factory reset twice a times also. But this problem is not solved.
    Froyo is not looking stable on my mobile. GPS also stop working many times. So i am not happy with it :(

4. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

You should always perform a factor reset after upgrading firmware. This is to eradicate all traces of the preceding version so they don't conflict. It should greatly increase the speed of your phone.

5. softpinkishlips

softpinkishlips Well-Known Member

i plan to update my SGS phone to froyo 2.2 my fone just got rooted 2 weeks ago. is there anything i should do before i update my fone? ive been hearing negative feedbacks abt froyo . what are the advantages anyway? thank u in advance

6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

+1 to doing a factory reset, in most instances this goes a long way toward solving many issues that people have after a fresh firmware flash...

7. softpinkishlips

what do u mean +1? if i do a fcty reset, will all my installed apps be gone???:eek:

8. nishunb

nishunb Member

Hi

I have a question regarding the same i.e. my phone has considerably slowed down after upgrading to 2.2. However I am reluctant to do a factory reset because

1.it might delete all my apps ( e.g. Angry birds score)
    2. My sms'es
    3. My contacts list

I can reload my contacts however I am really concerned about point 1 (Apps). Can someone let me know whether factory reset will erase all third party apps on the phone?

Thanks

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Yes it will. If you Root the phone and backup your apps with Titanium backup then they should restore with their data on 2.2 (after Rooting the phone again to install Titanium backup).

Contacts should just sync again from Google, so that shouldn't be a problem. There are SMS backup apps you can use, although I can't recommend any since I don't use them (I use SMSbackup, which automatically sends them all as emails to my Gmail address to a folder called SMS, you could do that if having them on your phone is not vital).

hunsnowboarder likes this.
  10. softpinkishlips

what will happen if i updated my fone to froyo? are there any advantages? any new features?

11. rynlpin

Flash support is a huge bonus with 2.2, now Android users can experience the whole website while apple users have to make do with half :p

Also comes with better RAM management and an inbuilt task manager. I also believe it's a lot less power hungry.

12. softpinkishlips

thank u so i need to do a factory reset then to avoid lag. thanks

13. nishunb

nishunb Member

@NZtechfreak

Thanks for your reply. However I do have one more query regarding this. As I dont want to lose some progress made on a couple of games ( Angry birds, Asphalt) and I understand that 'Factory reset' do NOT touch the apps installed on SD card, So is there any way by which I can transfer my apps on to SD Card.

Nishant

14. rynlpin

When I upgraded, I lost my Asphalt progress but seriously, despite this loss, Froyo is still the better firmware so I recommend making the most of it.

15. softpinkishlips

what about me i dont have sd card external yet. im using my internal mem card

16. DroidRick

DroidRick Well-Known Member

Ryan you clearly like Froyo over Eclaire. Can you please enumerate the reasons? What are all of the advantages and disadvantages of Froyo? TIA

17. DroidRick

DroidRick Well-Known Member

That's a big assumption. You are assuming the user has all of his/her contacts in Google. Personally, all my phone contacts are not on Google (manually entered into the Phone app). A reset would lose all of these contacts.

18. rynlpin

Check out this thread. Pretty much lists the changes :)

19. seepij@gmail.com

seepij@gmail.com New Member

Guys ... I am not getting the update on my GalaxyS ... tried connecting multiple times thru Kies .. but it shows "no updates found" :(

Any help !!

20. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

what country are you from?

21. tomveil

tomveil New Member

I just updated mine to Froyo last night. I am on Bell in Canada and the update was in Kies when I logged in. Installed with no issues and everything seems great. Very pleased :)

22. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member

I personally find backing up contacts to sd card the fastest and easiest way to do it.