• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated Jelly Bean 4.1.2 photo editor sux

ronitk

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Remember in the old ICS version u could select part of an image and copy it to another image through photo editor??? I cant anymore.. all because of this jelly bean update...
they have changed the app altogether..magnetic lasso tool isnt there either..nor the option to select part of an image and copy it to another..wonder why they wud do that...
anybody thinks that im wrong about this and perhaps there is a way??

Why would Samsung take away such a useful little stock app? It worked directly from the Gallery, so I could quickly snap a pic, pull it up and edit it in 30 seconds. The frustrating thing is, when I choose "edit" from the gallery, it still gives me the "option" to choose either Photo Editor or the new Paper thingy ... but when I choose Photo Editor it says "not installed, do you want to download?" Why YES I DO - but when I choose download, it doesn't.
So I have to use a third party app that requires me to exit, open a separate app, browse for the picture ... and I've downloaded and ditched about 3 photo editing apps already because they were far too complex, too big, or just didn't work. What on earth was Samsung thinking? The "Paper Trash" thingy app doesn't do any of the basic things that I need, like crop, write directly on the picture (you know - LIKE THEIR COMMERCIALS SHOW), etc. Photo Editor wasn't robust or fancy - it just worked. Argh.

Upvote 0
Well, after 30 minutes on Chat with a rep - long story short: Photo Editor was replaced with Paper Artist.
This was after the rep said no such app ever existed, told me to clear the app's cache (to which I replied "what app? it's gone. You know - the one that never existed"), and said "some things do change with an upgrade". Wow. Their scripts need revising!! :(

Finally got the rep to admit that yes, it is indeed gone - replaced by the craptastic Paper Artist. Then she proceeds to give me the sales pitch:
I do understand your concern. But the paper artist is added in place of photo editor.
Janet: I should inform you that, jelly bean update will enhance the features given below on the device:
Janet:

Reactions: selenitafm
Upvote 0
Why would Samsung take away such a useful little stock app? It worked directly from the Gallery, so I could quickly snap a pic, pull it up and edit it in 30 seconds. The frustrating thing is, when I choose "edit" from the gallery, it still gives me the "option" to choose either Photo Editor or the new Paper thingy ... but when I choose Photo Editor it says "not installed, do you want to download?" Why YES I DO - but when I choose download, it doesn't.
So I have to use a third party app that requires me to exit, open a separate app, browse for the picture ... and I've downloaded and ditched about 3 photo editing apps already because they were far too complex, too big, or just didn't work. What on earth was Samsung thinking? The "Paper Trash" thingy app doesn't do any of the basic things that I need, like crop, write directly on the picture (you know - LIKE THEIR COMMERCIALS SHOW), etc. Photo Editor wasn't robust or fancy - it just worked. Argh.
excellent reply, that explains just what I needed to know. I did the update on my Samsung Galaxy S2 from ICS to Jelly Bean. I checked forum mainly to thank your reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones