updated manually installed apps

Last Updated:

1. dawson258

dawson258 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

as the title says is i install an app or game from an apk. file via sd card, is ther anyway at all to update to the more recent version?

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Try going to settings/about phone/ system software updates, any updates available will be found.

3. dawson258

na it didnt work mate, i wonder if thers an app what can track and trace any potential updates for installed programst!

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Only other way is to look round the sites like where you got the app from & see if they have a newer version.

5. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone else is trying this to update apps, this is nothing to do with updating apps at all. It will search for updates to the phone's firmware.
    As for the original question, I don't believe there is a way to update manually installed apps apart from getting an updated apk from the place you got the original one (hopefully legally :D ).

6. alprk

alprk Member

Use App Brain and sync your applications, it will tell you if there are updates.

Then next time they are available in the market

Inno and dawson258 like this.
  7. dawson258

Looks promising.. thanks alot mate

8. dawson258

Ahh just tried, obviously with me not putchasing the app from the market it wouldnt update without requesting me to buy it

9. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

You could try the app 'aTrackDog' which checks for updates of installed apps. There is also an similar app which does the same thing for backed up apps.

Finding and downloading the update once you know there is one is not so simple I suspect.

I did try these briefly but uninstalled them as they were telling me there were updates when the market was saying otherwise. They may work for what you need.

10. dawson258

Thanks again for the suggestion but it is just loading the apps page and asking me to buy, if im being honest im just trying to bypass the whole process of buying an app

11. TremF

TremF Member

All you can do then is find an updated .apk file and do what you did with the first. The only way to have it update from it's source is to purchase the file.