• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [UPDATED] MH-Kernel1.2 (For Samsung Rugby Smart ONLY!)

Motorhead1991

Android Expert
Mar 7, 2012
Pasco, WA
DO NOT FLASH TO A GALAXY W! This is based on open source files specifically for the Rugby Smart

MH-Kernel 1.2

Here's the first of a, hopefully, long list of mods for The Rugby Smart.

Here, I added the following governors:
Smartass
SmartassV2
Interactive

I also tried adding init.d via busybox, however that needs more work.

These governors should help prolong the attrocious battery life associated with this awesome device.

You need Clockworkmod for this. Preferably Kemonine96's 6.0.1.1 as I verified that it works

To install:

1. Shutdown and reboot into recovery mode

2. Choose "Install from Sdcard", then "Choose zip from sdcard"

3. Scroll down to MH-Kernel1.x.zip and select it, choose yes and wait.

4. First boot may take a while (I though I had bootlooped). If this bootloops, follow steps 1-3 again and reflash the boot.img.

Once it is done booting, enjoy the new governors! :)

Old Releases:
MH-Kernel 1.0
MH-Kernel 1.1

Here's a changelog for the kernel, as well as the yet-to-be-released Powerkernel, designed for mhz hungry users.

~~~~~Changelog for tame kernel~~~~~
-Version 1.1 includes a WiFi fix, which has been tested by myself and another user.

-Version 1.2 fixed the wakelock problems that 1.1 had. Turns out it was adaptive voltage scaling that caused the problem.

Upvote 0
Hi MH. I have an i847 and I did the OTA update before I rooted it. I have installed superuser & titanium backup to remove most default apps from att, I also installed setVcel for CPU speed up & slow down.

My device is running pretty good. Much faster than stock.

Can you please tell me what all I can do with my rooted phone because I'm pretty new at this and would like to use the full potential my i847 has to offer. I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Update: I fixed my device thanks to Motorhead1991.

@Motorhead1991: I've since flashed CWMR 6.0.1.1 and your MH1.2 kernel. My phone is running great! But one last question: What should my android version say in my system info? I'm just wanting to make sure I flashed my kernel right because it did boot like normal and didn't take a long time at all.

Upvote 0
Strange... It was working when I put it up... Lemme look at the link and see if it's correct.

I figured it out. I turned my phone on airplane mode and went into boot mode. from thickest there I cleared my cache 4 times and applied the update 3 times. Reboot and wifi was back again. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the loop I threw you.

Btw, what percent you think this kernel saves in battery life?

Appreciate your developments

Upvote 0
Hey there,im a first time forums user and have found myself in a bit of a situation :(

ive rooted my phone (i847),installed MH-kernal 1.2,installed gapps-jb-20121130,attempted to install aokp_apache-5.17.zip which then said install fail in the recovery menu.
now my phone just hangs on the samsung logo and boot loops.ive tryed to put different roms (zip file) on sd card but when i get to the recovery menu the sd card is showing nothing...the phone is new so had nothing on it that i needed.no doubt your laughing and thinking total newb but yea i can agree with that haha.any help would be much appretiated,cheers guys

Upvote 0
Hey there,im a first time forums user and have found myself in a bit of a situation :(

ive rooted my phone (i847),installed MH-kernal 1.2,installed gapps-jb-20121130,attempted to install aokp_apache-5.17.zip which then said install fail in the recovery menu.
now my phone just hangs on the samsung logo and boot loops.ive tryed to put different roms (zip file) on sd card but when i get to the recovery menu the sd card is showing nothing...the phone is new so had nothing on it that i needed.no doubt your laughing and thinking total newb but yea i can agree with that haha.any help would be much appretiated,cheers guys

Download an IRC client and get on our freenode.net channel (#TeamRugby)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones