• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [updated] Root T-Mobile LG L9 (P769)

mingkee

Jul 29, 2010
Prerequisite:
  • You must install LG United Driver (simply change the phone USB mode to LG mode and install PC Suite).
  • You must enable USB debug mode (in developers option) and "unknown sources" (in security option).
  • Download and unpack Root and Restore.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
  • Download the attached RunMe_L9.txt and change the extension to .bat, and put it to where the unpacked folder is.

Are you ready? Here it goes:
  • Hook up your phone and choose USB LG mode. Make sure you see a bug on the top-left of screen.
  • Open Root and Restore folder->run RunMe_L9.bat
  • You will be prompted to restore data. Look at the phone screen and choose "restore my data" when prompted, and press any key after the restore has finished.
  • The phone will reboot. Check the terminal window and check for "(are you rooted?)" error. If there's no error, check the phone to see "Android is updating". If so, the phone should be rooted.
  • Download and install busybox and SuperSU.
  • Done.

Happy Rooting!

Attachments

• RunMe_L9.txt
    10 KB · Views: 3,425
Just checked my version. Has anyone tried?

I have, with couple different root versions multiple times. My 10e phone just won't take it, and I didn't even get a chance to try a 10a-d version as they are selling them with 10e installed now.

Nevermind- this version DID work for me. The other versions I tried did not fully stop the restore tool thus restarting too early before the files could copy.

This version worked perfectly though, even on 10e. Thanks to all who worked on this. I hope this phone becomes very popular because it's been great so far! Can't wait to clean it up and see how it shines.:D

Upvote 0
So, i renamed the file like i was suppose to but it didnt change the format to a .bat i had to open the .txt and edit and re save it as a .bat and it worked! i ran the .bat and wahlah! my phone became rooted. I am having trouble with the pc suite seeing my phone. and I still do not know how to save any apps to sd card. and that was my main goal in rooting. maybe i need more practice.

Upvote 0
I got the PC suite installed, but when I try to connect my phone in LG Software mode, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting constantly (seriously once every 5-45 seconds), and meanwhile PC suite tells me it failed to connect to the phone. Windows 7 / P76910e. Anyone else have this problem and get it fixed?

Upvote 0
jims89 - try a different USB port. If that doesn't work, do a google search for lg optimus l9 drivers and go to the link to LG mobile support (should be the second link after search)

carmine92207 - no recovery rom in the works for this phone...as of right now. locked bootloader and no devs working on figuring out how to unlock the bootloader that I have been able to find out.

Reactions: carmine92207
Upvote 0
I got the PC suite installed, but when I try to connect my phone in LG Software mode, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting constantly (seriously once every 5-45 seconds), and meanwhile PC suite tells me it failed to connect to the phone. Windows 7 / P76910e. Anyone else have this problem and get it fixed?

Just ignore this, you don't really need to connect your phone to the program. Its the drivers the programs installs that you actually use to root. My phone did the same thing and it rooted just fine.

Upvote 0
I followed all your directions, but it keeps getting stuck at ======================================================================
= This script will root your Android phone with adb restore function =
= Script by Bin4ry (thanks to Goroh_kun and tkymgr for the idea) =
= Idea for Tablet S from Fi01_IS01 =
= (13.10.2012) v15 =
======================================================================

Device type:
1) Normal
2) Special (for example: Sony Tablet S, Medion Lifetab)

x) Unroot

Make a choice: 1
Checking if i should run in Normal Mode or special Sony Mode
Please connect your device with USB-Debugging enabled now

And I put it into usb debugging mode. HELP??

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am getting to the process until it says:
----------
Please look at your device and click RESTORE!
If all is successful i will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Running ..
=========

my device prompts me to restore. when I click on "restore my device", I get a "restore starting" message and then "restore ended", and the command prompt gets stuck at this point (running).

any suggestions?

Upvote 0

This same thing happens to me ONLY on my Win XP PC. I cant copy to my phone, but I can copy from. Now on my Win 7 laptop, all I need is the phone drivers, I dont even need the Suite and it still works (copy and paste to/from the phone)

Upvote 0
I have TM P769 with "e" firmware. I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" messages when the script tries to push the files (busybox, su, Superuser. etc.). The script has "/data/local/tmp/." for the destination directory. I see this directory structure on the phone -- "Computer\LG-P769\Internal storage" -- and no data subdirectory. I am guessing that is why the script cannot find the path. I am running the script from a folder on the Windows 7 Desktop. I am using the new, renamed L9 bat file.

EDIT: I think I am OK now. After reading another post I opened the "stuff" directory on the PC and ran the adb.exe file. It opened a window, ran a quick script and closed. After that the L9 bat file ran with no "path not found" messages -- and the SuperSU app was installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones