Updated SoftwareSupport

1. grobinson73

grobinson73 Member

Afternoon

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3, and was more than impressed with it, compared to the iphone I had prior.

Unfortunately the software upgraded on the phone to 4.1.1 and now the phone no longer works with my car with factory bluetooth prep, the contacts are basically not visible. This now means the phone is as much use as a house brick.

Is there a known issue with contacts not displaying on a cars system (its an Audi)? or anyway of taking the software back to the version that worked perfectly which was ICS?

If not whom do I seek for compensation? its not really Samsungs fault nor the company whom sold me the phone, its the operating system provider that has made the phone no longer functional

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Graeme

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Compensation? That's pretty funny, are you expecting someone to give you money because of this?

But anyway, it isn't the operating system provider (Google) fault, it would be on Samsung since they take that software (Android) and customize it into something called Touchwiz (which just about all Samsung phones have, and which is terrible). Going even further, each provider (At&t, Verizon etc...) then has the ability to adjust the software according to their own needs. So you really aren't getting Android 4.1.1 but rather a version of Android that has been mutated.

To go back to an older version you would have to root your phone, but doing so you will mostly likely be prompted to update again and again. Unless you install a custom rom.
  3. grobinson73

grobinson73 Member

Cheers for the information....

So I am stuck on this means I am stuck on 4.1.1? as I am unaware what rooting is.

yes compensation, Which means I get the phone replaced with one that works.

Its the same with any product as the law staets something has to be 'fit for purpose' which it was and now isnt due to no fault of my company.

Thanks again

Graeme
  4. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

You're not getting compensation because your car can't update it's software to be compatible with newer technology. I can no longer download gadgets for my windows Vista laptop because it is obsolete. Same concept.

You are upset with one feature. The phone is perfectly fine otherwise. It IS fit for use.
  5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

The problems could be:

A. Something Samsung did to the update.
    B. Something your service provider did to the update.
    C. Audi needs to update their software.

Try contacting tech support for all 3 for a solution.
    grobinson73 likes this.
  6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I am moving this thread into the Samsung Galaxy S3 forums to see if any other S3 users have encountered this issue and/or have a solution for it :)

Hope this helps!

--------------------

More on the questions at hand though, i am assuming it has something to do with the car needing an update of bluetooth software, i would suggest in calling your cars manufacturer and asking about it :)
    grobinson73 and Crashdamage like this.
  7. grobinson73

grobinson73 Member

thanks for technical support options....and thanks for moving it to somewhere more suitable.

Audi has updated software available, but at the cost of
  8. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

So it's Audi's problem, not the phone. Why are they charging so much for an update that should be free?
  9. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

300 seems pretty extreme. You can buy a whole stereo for that price with speakers and have it installed...
  10. grobinson73

grobinson73 Member

It is an integrated multimedia system, so no radio to replace.

Anyhow, it's not an Audi issue, Samsung have replied to me very quickly to confirm there is indeed an issue with the last update and they are working on a hot fix

Thanks for alll the POSITIVE replies, been a great help

Cheers

Graeme