Updated to 2.1, Now Experiencing Performance Problems?

Last Updated:

1. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This was in the Android Forum News, but I wanted to link it here. For those who have received the OTA and/or forced the update, apparently, the update has caused the DROID to experience performance problems, particularly in the area of 2D apps. What used to return 60fps is now being halved (30fps). Here is the link to the article:

Droid 2.1 Update Causing Performance Problems? | Android Phone Fans

And the video:

YouTube - 2-D Graphics Slowdown After Motorola Droid 2.1 Update

For anyone who's done the update, can you all download a 2D app that can measure fps? Tell us what you are returning? Here's the apk for the 2D app that the tester was using to make these conclusions:

http://droid2dperftest.googlecode.com/files/LagTest.apk

Here's the blog of the tester explaining this. He tested two Droids and 1 Eris:

http://tesujigames.blogspot.com/2010/04/2-d-graphics-slowdown-after-motorola.html

Advertisement
  2. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

Mine on 2.1 seems to bounce rather frequently between 30 fps and 60 fps.

3. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

When I downloaded 2.1, I found it makes general graphics loading on my phone run slower. Most noticeable thing is, when I change the orientation of my phone, there is a delay of about a second while it changes. I never had this on 2.01

4. MinConst

MinConst Well-Known Member

fps=36-42 avg=39 min=24 mac=48

5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

It kinda seems to have slowed my phone down a bit. But I have a question, after the update I looked at my firmware and it says 2.1update1. Does that mean there is gonna be another part to this update?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. sooper_droid12

1) I think that there's enough press about the dropping of frames that Motorola and Verizon will have to issue a patch.
    2) I DEFINITELY am experiencing dropped frames in playing 2D applications. For example, I'm playing the SNES emulator. I used to be able to play Contra III with zero hesitation. In fact, it was very quick. Now, it's stuttering and chopping very badly. But like someone said above, it'll chop and then speed up.

Based on what the article mentions above, it might simply be a coding issue and not an issue with the update. Perhaps, these apps need to be updated to run well on the OS. 3D apps run super slick and very well. If this was my go-to gamer device I'd be pissed off. If I'm a developer of a 2D app and this was causing my app to run like crap, I'd be pissed. However, since the rest of my phone works very nicely with the update, I'm not too pressed about it. Ultimately, I would like to see VZW/Moto release a patch to fix the issue. No one wants a crap update.

This is why I posted this, so we can raise some noise about it. But since there's only 4 responses, I guess other updaters haven't noticed or don't care.

7. mojo1094

mojo1094 Member

I have noticed this. I'm getting a LOT of slowdown and lag, and more force closes. I just got the update today. Another reason you may not have a lot of responses because people are still recieving the update.

I can NOT load anything in the gallery. Viewing pictures is just random luck. I only have 70 pictures! (and none are 5mp, only a few are larger than 640x480).

My widgits barely work (I only use a Weather one and a Text's from last Night. This is a horrible update. I'm really wishing I could go back to 2.0.1, and I was going to head to Verizon tomorrow to complain.

8. griswolds53

griswolds53 Well-Known Member

I guess this is a common problem, but I have not seen it. I tried contra, mariokart and a few others. i saw no hesitation at all. the controls seem to run smoother?? Homerun battle, icommando, and the other few games i played all ran well. I have noticed my battery life has increased greatly. that is a plus.

9. Berkshire5

Berkshire5 Active Member

Ouch, sounds like 2.1 has enough issues for me to wait...

10. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

maybe they capped it at 30fps on purpose, so battery life can increase? who knows.

but i'm rooted and running at 800mhz overclocked and im getting 50-60fps, and once in a while it'll just randomly drop down to the 30s. when i run it at 550mhz which is stock speed, i get a pretty constant 30fps. running it at 1200mhz gives me constant 50-60fps.

also i've noticed that whle scrolling around in menus or playlists, the scrolling will stutter or have a "jerking" motion. this never happened in 2.0.1.

11. sooper_droid12

If it was capped at 30fps it would be better than what it is now, fluctuating from 30 to 60 fps. The Nexus One is basically pinned around 60 fps. That's what I think we deserve. If you're not noticing the choppiness, then that's great, but for those who are experiencing it, and it's not a minority of people, it's a nuisance. Will I go back to 2.0.1? No. For the most part, the phone runs much better. But as someone who owns this device, you naturally want the manufacturer and carrier do its due diligence and put enough QA/QC into a release. Apparently, it's something that was a problem with 2.0, got fixed for 2.0.1 then went back to problematic, like 2.0.