updateing from 2.1 to 2.2

Last Updated:

1. luc1f3r

luc1f3r Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    since we can expect google to release android 2.2 (froyo) at this ending of june/beginning of july i was starting to wonder if theres a way to update from 2.1 to 2.2 with a stock rom, that...without flashing my device, speaking about htc desire which ive purchased a few weeks ago, does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

greetingz.

Advertisement
  2. PJD

PJD Well-Known Member

You say you purchased your Desire I also have purchased mine and am not messing with it at all rooting,flashing whatever is involved, or the warranty will be void and as far as I am concerned these phones cost a lot of money. I updated OTA with no problems especially WiFi which seems to be the main issue people are having as i have said before it is OK for people on contracts, it is difficult but we just all need to try and be patient

luc1f3r likes this.
  3. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

when 2.2 is released it is most likely to be an ota update, and thus no 'danger'

luc1f3r likes this.
  4. luc1f3r

hi guys,
    thanks for responding, means alot to me.
    what exactly do you mean with an ota? and can i still upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2?
    thanks in advance.

5. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

OTA means "over the air" basically it means the update will be released via the mobile internet,although i do believe you can use wifi as well.

Yes when Froyo is released everybody will be able to update.

luc1f3r likes this.
  6. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

If you want to keep Sense on the phone I was under the impression we'd have to wait for HTC to package a ROM with 2.2 plus Sense together? Otherwise you'll be upgrading to stock 2.2 and lose Sense. Hopefully HTC will fix some of the bugs in the Desire at the same time.

luc1f3r likes this.
  7. gmaster

gmaster Member

You can't officially update the Desire to 2.2 yet. You'd need to get a rom to do it, which is stock Android. Once the Desire 2.2 update comes it will have Sense on it, and will be through an OTA update. Basically your phone will tell you that there is an update waiting to be downloaded.

Don't hold your breath on that being anytime soon though.

luc1f3r likes this.
  8. luc1f3r

great to see everybody reply so fast, or maybe im just slow...?
    anyway, thanks all for replying.
    i was under the impression that 2.2 would be released this ending of june or beginning of july..

9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

2.2 is the version of android released by google. This will be a vanilla build (just android).

The HTC desire runs on android but has a user interface called Sense. Once 2.2 is released by google, HTC have to play with it to get Sense working on it.

This is what we need to wait for but HTC have not given any dates as yet.. they are saying "second half of the year"

10. luc1f3r

wow okay, thanks...so i can give up the waiting for this or second month :)
    anyhow, thanks again for responding!