• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
In Play Store select ... Settings | Auto-update apps

This will by default set auto-update on all apps in Play Store and when they are updated they will automatically be sent to your Bionic. The one exception is that if the author changes the permissions on the app then that app will need to be manually updated that one time.

I do not use the auto-update feature and do not recommend it to anyone. I think it is much better to remain aware of what is changing on your Bionic.

... Thom

Reactions: Paraflier
Upvote 0
Any way I can use a setting or smart action to do my ass updates in the middle of the night? They seen to que up and then I get 5 or 6 all at once in the middle of the day. And that's facebook and twitter time. Lol.

If not no biggie. Thanks.

ICS, no root.

The time of day that Play Store checks for and reports app updates seems to be directly linked to the time of day that you initially logged into the Play store when you first set up your phone.

If you want to have it always check for updates and report them in the middle of the night, you simply need to perform a FDR, and then re-set up your phone at that same time of night - particularly logging into the Play store (And accepting the EULA) for the first time.

However, you will only get the notification for the existence of updates, not actual updates themselves. To auto update, do as Thom said, but it can be risky. The Play store, however, does allow you to individually select each app for auto updating while leaving the general setting off, so if one particular app is always being updated, you can allow it to update on its own and still control other apps manually. The caveats Thom mentioned about apps requiring manual updating due to a permissions change, however, still hold.

Upvote 0
If you want to have it always check for updates and report them in the middle of the night, you simply need to perform a FDR, and then re-set up your phone at that same time of night - particularly logging into the Play store (And accepting the EULA) for the first time.

An easier idea - clear data for the Play Store, which will go through the same process (accepting the EULA for the Play Store) without the hassle of an FDR.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones