• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Updating an App?

cmh0114

Jan 10, 2010
As a developer, how do I update my app? What do I need to put into my code so that, when the new version is uploaded to the Market, it will alert the user that an update is available (within the app), and how do I take them to the Market page for the update?

Also, could someone explain the process of "signing" an app? I don't quite understand that...

As a developer, how do I update my app? What do I need to put into my code so that, when the new version is uploaded to the Market, it will alert the user that an update is available (within the app), and how do I take them to the Market page for the update?

Also, could someone explain the process of "signing" an app? I don't quite understand that...

In your android manifest file there is an attribute under the <manifest> tag labeled android:versionCode. Every time you go to release an update for an app in the android market, increment this number. This tells the android market that it is not the same version as the one already in the market, and must be an integer value. Furthermore, there is another attribute under that same tage (usually directly below the android:versionCode anttribute) labeled android:versionName. This attribute is the actual version name of your app that you have given to it using your own version scheme (i.e. 1.2.5). This is the version name that is displayed under your description in the android market and let's users know the exact version of your app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones