• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help updating android version

neonflash

Feb 11, 2012
i wanted to know how to do this.
assuming an official update has been released.
some of my friends can just go to settings -> about phone -> software update -> check for upates
for them if one is available it will say and they'll be asked whether they wish to install it or not.
when i go through this process (using an LG optimus black p970 which since i'm in the uk should have a ICS update available) it just says "connection failed caused by authentication error"
idk wtf that means. i'm connected to wifi and have a registered gmail accound on the phone. the only thing i dont have at current is a sim card in though i doubt that is the problem.
on my samsung galaxy s i9000 i get "connection to server error" (i'm not sure if there was update from 2.3 or the i9000 though)

PLEASE NOTE: i'm a total nooob at this. i'm only interested in OFFICIAL updates. i dont want to root or flash or install custom roms or anything. just want to update IF ITS AVAILABLE

also if an update is available so it can be applied ota (over the airwaves) which would just be downloading it to the phone in the process outlined above - is that right? or it can be applied manually using a pc & ur phone. if the update is official why sometimes is it not picked up and done ota (hhope i'm using there terms right - or you can at least decipher what i'm trying to get at!)

i wanted to know how to do this.
assuming an official update has been released.
some of my friends can just go to settings -> about phone -> software update -> check for upates
for them if one is available it will say and they'll be asked whether they wish to install it or not.
when i go through this process (using an LG optimus black p970 which since i'm in the uk should have a ICS update available) it just says "connection failed caused by authentication error"
idk wtf that means. i'm connected to wifi and have a registered gmail accound on the phone. the only thing i dont have at current is a sim card in though i doubt that is the problem.
on my samsung galaxy s i9000 i get "connection to server error" (i'm not sure if there was update from 2.3 or the i9000 though)

PLEASE NOTE: i'm a total nooob at this. i'm only interested in OFFICIAL updates. i dont want to root or flash or install custom roms or anything. just want to update IF ITS AVAILABLE

also if an update is available so it can be applied ota (over the airwaves) which would just be downloading it to the phone in the process outlined above - is that right? or it can be applied manually using a pc & ur phone. if the update is official why sometimes is it not picked up and done ota (hhope i'm using there terms right - or you can at least decipher what i'm trying to get at!)

i never had a gsm phone so i never had to deal with sim cards before, but my guess would be that is your problem. the sim card is where all of your network info will be at and that is why you are getting a authentication error because it can't verify what network you are on.

and yes if there is an ota then you will just download it to the phone.

Upvote 0
ok i'll try with a sim card.

so why sometimes do ota's fail? i mean if there is an official release but when u do a search it doesnt work then u have to do it via pc.
isnt their a way to like "Push" it via ota so it would recognise an update?

an ota is available and sent via your carrier. it is up to them on when to send it. some people get the ota right away and sometimes others will have to wait. how they determine when, i'm not sure.

and as far as failing ota goes there can be a bunch of reasons. i think the most common reason is not enough space or just a bad connection or no connection at all.

not sure what you mean by push it via ota.....that is what an ota is, an update over the air. so as long as you have a connection and enough space....then you should be fine.

Upvote 0
i want to update my lg optimus black p970 from 2.2.2 to ics 4.0
as far as i'm aware there is official release of ics for this phone.
when i try to do it ota i just get "connection failed caused by authentication error"
not sure whats causing it.
so these 2 sites seem to show the same method for manually updating to ics
How to Update LG Optimus Black P970 Official ICS Android 4.0 Firmware - Android Advices
Update LG Optimus Black P970 to Official Android 4.0 ICS ROM
just want to check that its official release though also the reliability of the whole process.
i'm new with all this stuff.
(or is their a way i can fit it and do it ota?)

Upvote 0
ok thank.
think i'll try it.
it says:

1. The update should now begin, so just wait and don’t make any other changes.
  2. The process should take a couple of minutes.
  3. In the end, remove the USB cord and reboot the phone
"In the end" like how do i know when its done/when to remove the usb cable?

should i be doing this with or without a sim card in the phone?

Upvote 0
would it be possible to do the update manually following these instructions?
its the official relsease.
not sure if the errori'm getting with ota is something that would affect updating in general whether its ota or via pc.

yep looks like it is for your phone. this is what is known as a ruu(rom update utility) and it runs on your pc and upgrades the phone. pretty straight forward.

Reactions: neonflash
Upvote 0
thx i'm new to all this.
i'll give it bash!
it says run the kdz executable file. i just tried to open it on my pc ( i have lg suite installed) but it says cant open file. does it just work if my phone is connected via usb, or how am i mean to run it?
other questions:
should i leave my sim card in the phone whilst doing this update?
the instructions say i need to disable my firewall and anitvirus as it interferes with the update. i cant find a way to disable my antivirus software (its avg free 2013)

Upvote 0
trying to do this

i installed lg suite on the disc that came with the phone.
i downloaded the kdz file in the link above.
it wouldnt open on my pc normally asked me to chose a program from list or one from the web.
so i chose lg suite bc thats what its supposed to open with but i double click lg suite opens and nothing else really happens.

the instructions for installing the update say:

1. Then, connect the handset with the computer by using its USB cord.
  2. Now, from the computer run the KDZ executable file.
  3. Up next, set

Upvote 0
thx gave it a skim look complex for me! -_- i'll read it properly later though.

i followed this instructions
LG P970 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG UK
when i open the program their is a list of networks and what phones have updates available for that network.
i noticed that under o2 (the network i use - both sims i tried were o2) an update isnt listed for my model of phone (p970)
it is available for tmobile & orange though.
then there is a part that just says "UK" under carrier and my model is listed under that as supported update.
so would it be bc i was using an o2 sim.
if i use a t-mobile or orange sim where the update is listed would it then probably work? (the phone is unlocked so i can put in any sim, that wont be an issue)

Upvote 0
thx gave it a skim look complex for me! -_- i'll read it properly later though.

i followed this instructions
when i open the program their is a list of networks and what phones have updates available for that network.
i noticed that under o2 (the network i use - both sims i tried were o2) an update isnt listed for my model of phone (p970)
it is available for tmobile & orange though.
then there is a part that just says "UK" under carrier and my model is listed under that as supported update.
so would it be bc i was using an o2 sim.
if i use a t-mobile or orange sim where the update is listed would it then probably work? (the phone is unlocked so i can put in any sim, that wont be an issue)

not sure on that, but that would be a good guess.

Upvote 0
will give it try then.
just cba spending money on a sim if its not going to work.
probably wont be in town for another week to pick one up either.

if it did successfully update to using one of the supported networks once it was updated & that i could then switch back to using my regular o2 sim though and still have ics running right, i'd just need a supported sim to actually get the update but once it was installed use any carrier?

Upvote 0
ok i got both a tmobile & orange sim.
but still getting the same error.
keeping the orange sim in the phone i followed this procedure
the phone connect but then the pc gave me this:

then it froze on this screen:

i disconnected th usb and tried again from the start, but it just keeps messing up even earlier on in the process gives me this:

then it says a solution cant be found and my only option is to close the program.
(nb i have firewall & antivirus disabled)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones