• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating apps

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm still getting to grips with Android.

OK, so the apps on my iPhone are easy to update. I just go into iTunes, click on update apps, and it's sorted. Next time I sync my phone to the Mac, the apps are updated.

I'm confused at how apps update in Android. Does this happen automatically in the background? Or am I missing an app that manages updates for me? Apps are updated all the time, yet I'm not aware of this happening on my Samsung Galaxy SII.

Thanks for any help.

Have a look at Play Store's settings :)

By default you won't be notified and your installed apps will be automatically updated.

You can this change ... and when you go to My Apps you can check/uncheck Automatically Update for every app.

Harry

you have it backwards, the default is to notify you of app updates.....you can change it to install them automatically

just go into the play store, from the main screen, do the options, then select 'my apps' it will automatically search for any updates that are available and list them at the top, you can them update them

Upvote 0
I have automatic updates disabled, because they seem to to enact themselves at the most inopportune moments. They don’t care if your battery is dangerously low or if you’re in the middle of some data-intensive activity -- they just barge right in. I just wait until I’m home, charging, and launch AppBrain and see what’s waiting for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones