Updating Apps

1. JamesJoey

JamesJoey Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to update every app that has an update available? Everything I start my G2x I have apps wanting to update that I never use. These are apps that came with the phone so, barring rooting my phone, there's no way to uninstall these apps. It's not too terrible just a bit annoying.

Any suggestions
    James

Advertisement
  2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I got some of those too. To get them to shut up, I unchecked Auto-update and notifs from the Play Store. Then I switched to AppBrain, which accesses the same library in a cleaner way, including allowing you to determine which updates should leave you alone, on an app-by-app basis.
  3. JamesJoey

I was going to ask if there was an app to do this on an app-by-app basis.
    Which is it: AppBrain Ad detector or AppBrain App Market?

Thanks,
    James
  4. jefboyardee

AppBrain App Market is the droid end, AppBrain is the PC end. AppBrain Ad detector is one of its side programs, and is actually pretty good.
  5. JamesJoey

Ok. Thanks much,
    James
  6. colmmcgrath

colmmcgrath Well-Known Member

No need for every app. You can uninstall the preinstalled apps while rooting your device.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Even apps you do use don't have to be updated. Unfortunately some updates are retrograde.

One good thing about root is that if an update makes an app worse I can just restore the previous version from my Titanium backup.
  8. JamesJoey

I'm a bit intimidated by rooting. My luck nothing will work afterwards.
  9. Hadron

Yeah, it's not for everyone.
  10. JamesJoey

I can format my computer's HDD but from what I've read about rooting the only term that comes to mind is "brick."
  11. Hadron

Have a look at your phone's All Things Root forum - that's where you'll find out what's involved for your device.
  12. JamesJoey

I installed AppBrain App Market and AppBrain Ad Detector but I see nowhere I can set any of my apps to check for updates.
  13. jefboyardee

One the droid end, tap Manage and Sync. The top part of that list are apps that want updating. Tap the red X next to one of those apps and you’ll see the options I was describing.
  14. JamesJoey

Ah. Thanks much.
    I'm new to this stuff.

James
  15. JamesJoey

Rooting scares me.
  16. jefboyardee

Join the club. That, and the fact that I really don
  17. JamesJoey

I finally got enough nerve a couple weeks ago to root my phone. The second rom I checked out the phone bricked.
    I got another phone and rooted it. But, this time I have no intentions to install a new rom. I'm using Titanium Backup and I'm "freezing" the apps that I don't use. I believe it's much safer this way.
    If I want a different look I'll install another launcher.
  18. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Rooting makes me extremely nervous. You can never find all the info in one spot. Carrier bloat pisses me off even more.