• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating Bootloader and SBF to OTA?

Justintoxicated

Android Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2010
So I hear there is a new SBF that works with the new bootloader?

I have 2.3.15, but I never did the OTA update. What is the easiest way for me to get up to date with the new radio? Currently I have 30.01 bootloader.

I read that I can use the FULL 2.2 SBF file to update the bootloader and the more importantly, the Radio. I am wondering however if I need to remove remove Bootstrap or Unroot first? I would imagine I do not, but you can never be too careful, there seems to be alot of misinformation, and I'm digging up posts where some people say the Full 2.2 SBF will not update the bootloader.

Thanks,

If I'm not mistaken you'll get a new radio, but not a new bootloader. If you want to have OTA, just flash 2.1 sbf and accept actual OTA. Doesn't take that long, I did it for my friend last week

Any advantage to getting the actual OTA rather than using the SBF? Only thing I can think of is to be able to upgrade to Gingerbread someday, but likely I would have to SBF at that time anyways.

But would updating to OTA make it anymore difficult to play now that this SBF is out?

Upvote 0
Ok I think theres alot of bad information floating around because there was an SBF, a leaked Full SBF (that apparently might not be full) and another Full SBF.

I downloaded this one
Droid X 2.2 Full SBF leaked - Download now
and it is 434 MB

When loaded into RSD Lite 4.8
The Bootloader Versions says "Bootloader Version: N / A"

So I'm thinking that this is not the correct one.

So now I'm downloading this one Droid X Full 2.2 SBF (37 minutes left). Hopefully the larger file size is a good indicator of the Radio and Boot Loader. I really trust "the_gift2" more just because it matches the 2.1 sbf :) I'll post back when I have more info.

Upvote 0
Well the unzipped file was actually smaller than when it was zipped lol They were both the same file.

when loading them into RSDlite, neither of them show the bootloader information. So I'm still concerned about flashing.

If I flash the SBF and it updates the radio, but not the bootloader, would I later be able to SBF back to 2.1? Otherwise it seems like I would be stuck with a non returnable and possibly much harder to upgrade phone in the future.

Upvote 0
If your bootloader is 30.01, you need to use the 2.1 sbf. From there you will do the OTA update from 2.1 to 2.2, which will update your bootloader to 30.03 and also get you the new radio and whatever else. Then you will do the minor update to 2.2 version 2.3.15.

From then on, you would use the 2.2 sbf on BL 30.03 to get back to OTA 2.2 version 2.3.15 if you brick or want a fresh start.

Upvote 0
Ok so If I were to use the 2.2 SBF, and the boot loader did not update, I would be potentially somewhat stuck, since I would not be able to return my phone to a state that is returnable (Wrong Bootloader). I mean I would still be able to use the 2.2 SBF, but should I need to return the phone I could not flash back to 2.1 even though I have the old bootloader still, because the radio would be updated?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones