• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating china bought Arc

are1989

Lurker
Dec 14, 2011
So hey all, I bought an Arc recently, well my gf did but she wanted my iphone as she found it easier to use than android.

Anyway. It has a couple of issues, like the camera more often than not saying its unavailable and when i connect to my home wifi I just lose the internet connection for everything in the house.

I want to update the phones build from its current 3.0.A.2.181 as I expect that might atleast fix the camera issue. But i'm worried that will ruin the phone as I'm assuming it is rooted since there is no android market and I can install any apk stuff willy-nilly. Like the stuff from pandaapp.

So if i am rooted and i update not android, but the phone itself, will that lock it again, undoing the root?

I don't think the phone is rooted, the android market application is not available in all markets, so your phone it one of those that just don't have it. Since PC Companion will detect the type of SI number of your phone it will know what software is the one that should be installed on your phone. That being said I'd suggest to go ahead and update your phone to see if you can repair the current issues that you are experiencing.

Upvote 0
So how am i able to install anything, like games that normally cost, i just download from panda app and install the apk. is that normal? I'm worried I'll update and lose that.

Also, being bought in china, wouldn't my phone be unlocked to work with any sim, and updating it would mean i'd lock it like i did once with my old iphone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones