• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating Chinese Desire Z to UK software

Code Red

Lurker
May 28, 2012
Hi,

I've just bought a brand new HTC Desire Z off eBay for a VERY good price. All in all it's a great phone and I'm very pleased with it, but in view of the price/source, I was anticipating there would be some catch, and here it is:

It's clearly some sort of grey import from China. It's been unlocked so it'll work on any network (I'm on Tesco Mobile) but it's obviously still running Asian version software - there's a load of Chinese apps on there, I haven't got a clue what they're for (but there is a useful satnav app if I should ever find myself lost in Zhengzhou...)

The biggest hitch is that the phone is missing the Android Market/Google Play app anywhere on the phone, so I can't download any apps. I also can't link this phone to my Google Play account so even when I download apps via the web, they never turn up on the phone. There is one app called XDA Marketplace, which I think is for Windows phone apps, but it's all in Chinese so that's no help either.

How do I go about updating the phone software to the UK version? I'm a total noob when it comes to Android so I haven't got a clue what I need to update, if I can and how to go about it.

If anyone could give me some help or point me in the right direction on the web, I'd be grateful.

I'm on the Tesco (O2) network by the way.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones