• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3 without Knox?

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
Here is a question that has just completely made me bang my head into my desk literally.

The ultimate goal - update modem from MDL to MK2!

I would like this to happen so that I can install the stock (knox free) 4.3 rom and not have much problems therefore updating to 4.3 rom without picking up this stupid knox! Just a disclaimer I really will not be buying a samsung phone in the future because of this idiocy of locking bootloaders down.

Here is where I am and where I want to go.

1. Rooted 4.2.2 - TWRP recovery!
2. Backed up everything and their mother to be able to have all I need available if something goes wrong - it has numerous times.
3. have the modified modem.bin file from the xda forums which when flashed is supposed to update the modem version to mk2.

Here is what I do and what happens.

1. Shut phone down
2. Put into odin mode
3. plug into computer
4. in odin make sure nothing is checked - no auto reboot no repartition no f reset time no flash lock no led control nothing
5. Click on phone and select modem.bin
6. press start

it gets to receive response from bootloader and it says fail with big red letters in the upper left above the port ID!

Does anyone know of any way I can go about getting this process to succeed so that I can enjoy the 4.3 roms?

I have tried the process with both Odin 3.07 and 3.04!

[ONLY FOR MDL BOOTLOADER] How to use 4.3 MK2 Modem and Retain Sound - xda-developers

Personally I'd recommend skipping 4.3 and going right to any number of 4.4.2 aosp or Google edition ROMs. You will need the mk2 modem for Google but not aosp ROMs. Cyanogen just released a snapshot of cm11 I'm running it now. Its stable and im getting better data reception so far from 4.2.2 and I still have the MDL modem, **** knox. Happy flashing.

Upvote 0
Well that thread really does not work for me because of the problem scribed above modem.bin never actually flashes. It always displays fail. In CM some of the fancy screen gimmicks of Samsung cannot be used but the actual problem for me usually is that I always seem to find some annoying bug that just eats at me that's why I just wanted to go to 4.3 TW deodexed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones