1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Updating from 4.2.2 to 4.3 without Knox?

1. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Here is a question that has just completely made me bang my head into my desk literally.

The ultimate goal - update modem from MDL to MK2!

I would like this to happen so that I can install the stock (knox free) 4.3 rom and not have much problems therefore updating to 4.3 rom without picking up this stupid knox! Just a disclaimer I really will not be buying a samsung phone in the future because of this idiocy of locking bootloaders down.

Here is where I am and where I want to go.

1. Rooted 4.2.2 - TWRP recovery!
    2. Backed up everything and their mother to be able to have all I need available if something goes wrong - it has numerous times.
    3. have the modified modem.bin file from the xda forums which when flashed is supposed to update the modem version to mk2.

Here is what I do and what happens.

1. Shut phone down
    2. Put into odin mode
    3. plug into computer
    4. in odin make sure nothing is checked - no auto reboot no repartition no f reset time no flash lock no led control nothing
    5. Click on phone and select modem.bin
    6. press start

it gets to receive response from bootloader and it says fail with big red letters in the upper left above the port ID!

Does anyone know of any way I can go about getting this process to succeed so that I can enjoy the 4.3 roms?

I have tried the process with both Odin 3.07 and 3.04!

Advertisement
    :
  2. lordodin912

lordodin912 Well-Known Member

[ONLY FOR MDL BOOTLOADER] How to use 4.3 MK2 Modem and Retain Sound - xda-developers

Personally I'd recommend skipping 4.3 and going right to any number of 4.4.2 aosp or Google edition ROMs. You will need the mk2 modem for Google but not aosp ROMs. Cyanogen just released a snapshot of cm11 I'm running it now. Its stable and im getting better data reception so far from 4.2.2 and I still have the MDL modem, **** knox. Happy flashing.
  3. alextop30

Well that thread really does not work for me because of the problem scribed above modem.bin never actually flashes. It always displays fail. In CM some of the fancy screen gimmicks of Samsung cannot be used but the actual problem for me usually is that I always seem to find some annoying bug that just eats at me that's why I just wanted to go to 4.3 TW deodexed!
  4. alextop30

Bunch of reboots on CM 11 M2 - call drops - data drops! Damn it!

Back to searching for a safe way to update to 4.3!
  5. aybesea69

aybesea69 New Member

I used mobile Odin with the bin file. Worked great for me. YMMV.
  6. xXchrizhurtyXx

xXchrizhurtyXx Well-Known Member

Yeah mobile Odin does the charm.
    Plus you need to have 2 files modem files flashed thru mobile odin