• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Google Apps after RMA?

My ASUS TF300 died under warranty and they replaced it. Well it had the red border and apps kept crashing, so they are replacing it again, but when I get it back... [Yes I see that I can turn off the Red Border flashing, but if the Settings App keeps crashing, I'm going to send it back.]

So when I get it back, my problem is that the motherboard was replaced and it has a different Mac Address [I assume that's what Google uses. :rolleyes: ], so Google play, which saved all my apps and settings, thinks it's a new device. I want to tell Google Play that it's the same device, so just restore it?

How do I do that?

I have a hundred apps or so, and don't want to say "INSTALL" for each one separately. Also, I want the settings restored.

Thanks,
ww

Greetings windy,

Your Google apps should be tied to the account, not the device.

If your info was backed up to the Google servers, then it should try to restore itself after you log into Google with the account you were using before the RMA.

If not, I don't know of anyway around single installs after the fact. There are several apps available that will allow you to back up your device so that restoration is fairly simple. Mybackup pro and Titanium backup come to mind.

These again don't help if you didn't use them prior the RMA.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I wasn't clear.
I log into my Google play account using a Real Computer and I see two devices:
* The original TF300
* The new TF300

The original device lists all the apps I installed on it.
The new one has only a handful.

What I did not see is a way to Say: "Install all the apps on the old device onto the new one since the old one no longer exists and has been replaced with the new one!"
I don't want to do this one at a time for several hundred apps.

Actually I tried to say "Install" for a single app and it gave me an error.
Like it didn't understand that I was logged into a Real computer and was asking it to install the app on the device. Anyway... That's another problem.

HOW DO YOU REPLACE A DEVICE!.

This must happen thousands of times a day. Right?

- ww

Upvote 0
Turns out that you can call Google. Or more precisely, you can enter a number on their Google Play Help contact page and they will call you back.

The Google play site should be able to load apps if you are on the computer with your android device logged in and synched up.

Free apps have to be manually loaded, one at a time.
Pay apps can be synched automatically.

I'm surprised and pleased that Google has phone support. Who knew.

Problem solved. At least I know what to do when I get my device back from ASUS.

- ww

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones