• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Hangouts Emoticons

Hey!

I just reset my GS5 to factory settings. Prior to doing this, emoticons would show up in Hangouts chats as the old theme (not Google's "cute" ones; traditional emoji that iPhone users see), but they would still appear as the ones from the relatively new theme. However, after resetting to factory settings, they appear in chat as the old ones and they appear in my keyboard rack as the old ones.

I checked to see if there were any recent updates to Hangouts or Google Keyboard, but no sign of any appeared. Did the factory reset make for this change, and why?

Also, when I tap the smiley icon in Hangouts, the emoticons appear cut off by a border, but when I go to the emoji rack on Google Keyboard while in Hangouts, they appear normally and not cut off.

Thanks!
DoctorWinters

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones