Updating HTC Hero to 2.1, Will i lose my flash?

Last Updated:

1. Emergenscene

Emergenscene Member This Topic's Starter

My Hero is Flashed on Revol with the 1.5 system stock from ntelos lol, But what i was wondering is if i use the ntelos 2.1 update, Will i lose my revol flash, or just my MMS and Internet settings? Currently everything works But id like to update to 2.1 so i can use MMS seeing as 1.5 cant use MMS on the Hero.

Or will i have to go have them reflash it after upgrading?

Any help with this would be helpful.

Also does this guide require your phone to be rooted? just incase lol HTC Hero, flashed to Revol with working Internet and MMS

Advertisement
  2. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what revol flash is. But when you update your phone you will lose everything in your phones memory; including apps, contacts, SMS & MMS's, etc.

You could root and install titanium backup to restore all your apps after flashing to 2.1 update. I'd highly recommend rooting if your even mildly tech savy. If your willing to give up Sense you can even get 2.2.

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I think Revol is a CDMA ROM, so I've moved this thread to the Sprint Hero forum.

4. Emergenscene

Revol is a phone service like MetroPCS

What im honestly wondering is if i stick that 2.1 update in, Will i have to take my phone and get it reflashed, I honestly wouldent mind 2.2 either but it would have to be rooted, And from what I understand 2.2 runs faster as well.

Im honestly just wanting to upgrade so im not left behind, And i just was wondering if when i do upgrade my OS on my phone, Will it end up replacing my Revol Service with Ntelos agian?

New to the hero, I bought it off craigslist preflashed to revol, But unfortunatly it has 1.5 on it so i cant do MMS, And i pay for it on my service so i need 2.1 or more to be able to do so! lol

What i really need to know is if ill have to go back to revol, Also i hear if you root your phone you lose info too. Im just concerned like will it change the internals, Like ESN incase they changed it before i bought it.

Im pretty tech savvy the android system is just new to me. I want to confirm everything before i do it haha. Also i wouldent mind rooting it and going for 2.2, I basicly dont have the HTC UI anyways being on 1.5.

5. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

If you flash an official Android 2.1 update to your handset, I am reasonably certain you would lose your root access. I am not familiar with your service provider, so I cannot say for sure if you could re-root your handset after flashing such an update.

I wonder if anyone else can chime in who has experience with this service provider? I am with Sprint, so it could be a different story for you.

6. Emergenscene

My phone dosnt seem to have root access. Typing SU in Better Term says Permission Denied, So im asuming its not rooted at all.

7. LBPHeretic

You might as well just update to Android 2.1 using the official ROM then. That is, of course, unless you want to root in the future.

Who knows if that service providers official ROM update has any root thwarting tactics? If you want to root in the future I would research it more first.

8. Emergenscene

Also my phone is from Ntelos, Some random virginia company. Its flashed to revol with everything working on 1.5, But i havnt tryed to root it. Like i said i just bought it off craigslist with it flashed to revol, All i did was change my phone number. And half the revol workers seemed confused to see a android on their network.

9. Emergenscene

I can go without rooting, Im just concerned if I update will it switch back to Ntelos's Service and not stick to Revol. Because it would be a pain in the ass to have it reflashed, I can get the MMS Net and Stuff working myself lol!

Im not sure if thats all on the simcard or if its in the system itself. I just want to know if i should be able to make phone calls afterwards, Mabey someone who has switched providers on there phone and updated, or know for sure can confirm this so i dont risk spending more cash lol. Just payed for an extended battery!

10. LBPHeretic

Yeah, honestly, your situation is really unique. Maybe it would be best to just root it, but keep it running stock Android 1.5.

You could at least make use of root apps and delete bloatware. The choice is yours though.

11. Emergenscene

I cant live without MMS lol. I want to be able to send and recive pics from people!, And 1.5 dosnt do it ahah. I may just take the risk, But i just want to make sure what im getting myself into, Because id be pissed if the guys at revol refuse to flash it >.>

12. marvado

marvado New Member

I have a rooted HTC Hero Sprint flashed to MetroPCS, using Android 1.5
    If I use the official ROM in the Sprint website (htc_sprint_hero_mr_2.27.651.6.exe) to upgrade Android to 2.1, and use the same prl that's in my phone right now (02004), do I loose the "flashed to MetroPCS" functionality?

thanks

13. marvado

marvado New Member

FYI,

it works.
    installed any cut and proxy to get metropcs in proxy after the ROM flash.