Updating my phone

Last Updated:

1. askj113

askj113 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I got my Cliq a couple months ago and fell in love with android. At the same time, I've realized that I don't think I really like the motoblur skin, and I really don't like being stuck in the past as all the new goodies come out and motorola doesn't bother to keep me updated. So I started looking into rooting and upgrading myself, and I guess I just need someone to clarify.

Doing some googling, it looks like I basically need to to hack my phone to run a custom mod written by some outside developer if I want to leave motorola's ecosystem. Part of what drew me to android in the first place was the idea that it functioned more like an open system than apple/iphone, the same way I can download (and in windows case, buy) windows or a linux distro whenever I want and have freedom to install it on my comp. Is it really true I can't just download a version of froyo or eclair or whatever from google and install it myself? This seems no different than having to jailbreak, or am I just missing something?

That said, does anyone have any suggestions? What will I miss out on by going back to stock android, and not having motoblur? Any notes about your cliq? Part of the reason I'm asking this now is because the cliq forum section won't load :/

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement