• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Updating my rooted Evo 3D CDMA to give away - help!

I have been reading for a couple days and I'm completely lost. I have just upgraded to an HTC One (a blue one) and will be rooting that later. Right now I am focusing on getting my Evo 3D CDMA updated so that I can give it to a friend. He plans to use it with just wi-fi - no carrier.

Since I have not updated at all since I first rooted and flashed a custom ROM on it, I thought I would update for my friend. Maybe I'm in over my head here. It seems so much more confusing doing an update at this point than doing the original root and flash!

Currently:
Rooted, S-off
Android 2.3.4, HTC Sense 3.0, Fresh 4.2.0
Kernal 2.6.35.13-g277012f, Baseband 1.06.00.1216, hboot 1.3
Internal card - 8 GB, External card - 16 GB

I have gotten my personal data off my SD card and wiped and formatted the card. I have downloaded some files - EXT4 which is now on the Evo but not fully installed (I get the msg that the version is undedected), Mini-SDK which is on my C drive, And HTC Sync. I also have downloaded 2.89_Base_Hboot_Radio_Firmware_PG86IMG.zip and copied it to the 16 GB SD card and renamed it.

I have not chosen a custom ROM yet and would love a recommendation.

I would like to do the simplest and fastest method of a reasonable update of everything for my friend. I am so stuck. :)

Is my next step a factory reset? And then do the updates - and in what order? Thanks for your help!

There is not much traffic for this device anymore, thus the reason why it is so quiet, I don't have this device anymore, but have you read this thread here, see below

Sticky: Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo 3D ROMs/Kernels using fastboot (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Anyone? All I hear is crickets over here. :)

Sorry, I saw this right when I woke up the other day and then forgot to come back to it after I woke up more.

I would probably run the RUU: http://androidforums.com/cdma-e...27-rom-update-utility-ruu-all-downloads.html

The latest 2.89 RUU, and from there you should be able to take the 2.95 OTA update. This will leave the phone S-off but put it back to the most up to date stock state.

For rom suggestions, I'd recommend pacman rom (jellybean, hboot 1.50 and below) but maybe leave that up to your buddy.

Reactions: DonB and scotty85
Upvote 0
Sorry, I saw this right when I woke up the other day and then forgot to come back to it after I woke up more.

I would probably run the RUU: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/769527-rom-update-utility-ruu-all-downloads.html

The latest 2.89 RUU, and from there you should be able to take the 2.95 OTA update. This will leave the phone S-off but put it back to the most up to date stock state.

For rom suggestions, I'd recommend pacman rom (jellybean, hboot 1.50 and below) but maybe leave that up to your buddy.

I didn't see this till just now, after I've done some other things on this "project." The 2.89 firmware file I used wasn't named the same as this one, but it was a 2.89. I can't remember if I found it on this forum or at xda. Then I installed Cool ICS and got caught in a bootloop. I read a lot more (endless reading!) and decided to downgrade to a firmware package with Hboot 1.5. So I now have JBear 1.50.5050 installed and have deleted the zip file from the SC card. Now I'm ready (I think) to flash a rom and was trying to determine what to use.

Do you think I should backtrack here and use this one you suggested? It seems like a great suggestion, but it means more time on this. Is JBear 1.50 far behind this one you suggest or hugely less desirable? I can't wait to have this done, send it to my friend, and move on to rooting and flashing my new HTC One!

Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
The firmware file I used was: 2.89_Base_Hboot_Radio_Firmware_PG86IMG.zip. After deleting the PG86IMG file from the SC card, I flashed Cool ICS and got into the bootloop. I just figured I better downgrade the hboot to 1.5!

Update: After flashing the JuopunutBear 1.50.5050, I flashed NegaLite BluRom. It seemed to install successfully; it said so at the end. But when I rebooted, I'm bootlooping again.

I pulled the battery and then went back into touch recovery and rechecked the mdsum, then wiped and reinstalled. Again, it said NegaLite was successfully installed. I got the NegaLite splash 3D screen, then it went back to the htc white screen, then to something new - another 3D screen saying "htc evo 3D", then the htc white screen again, then the first NegaLite screen again, then the white htc screen, then some kind up Android update screen, then .... and so on.

So I'm pretty lost here! Back into touch recovery, but I'm just not sure what to do next. Try a different rom? Re-flash the PG86IMG file? And then the Hboot 1.5 file? Start over?

UPDATE: I've been at this all night and have to quit and get some sleep. I tried the Sprint 2.89 RUU again from bootloader screen and it installed. Then I removed the file from the SD card. I noticed at the top of the screen it said Locked. It wasn't locked before. Now after rebooting, I have not been able to get back to bootloader or recovery. So what just happened?

At first I thought I'll just keep the hboot at 1.57 this time and go back to my original idea of flashing Cool ICS. But if I can't get into recovery.... I'm really confused. Am I really locked now and is it possible that I am unrooted??? Don't tell me this is so!

I originally rooted this phone using Revolutionary...long ago. I don't remember anything much about it now. What is next for me to do?

Upvote 0
I tried twice to flash the ICS RUU zip file and 4EXT gave me a bad file message both times. I re-downloaded the second time, and both times I did the md5 checksum test.

I will download the firmware update from another of your posts (Nov. 19th). Oops! I see that one is only an 11 MB file - just an update I guess.

Having a hard time with this update of firmware, hboot (I want 1.5), and new rom.

Update: I'm downloading the "same" file from a link on the xda site. We'll see if that one works. .... Well, that one is only around 52 MB. ???

This is so confusing. I think I better go sleep and try again later.

Upvote 0
I tried twice to flash the ICS RUU zip file and 4EXT gave me a bad file message both times. I re-downloaded the second time, and both times I did the md5 checksum test.

I will download the firmware update from another of your posts (Nov. 19th). Oops! I see that one is only an 11 MB file - just an update I guess.

Having a hard time with this update of firmware, hboot (I want 1.5), and new rom.

Update: I'm downloading the "same" file from a link on the xda site. We'll see if that one works. .... Well, that one is only around 52 MB. ???

This is so confusing. I think I better go sleep and try again later.

I don't have this device anymore, so I will have Brian come and check, as i have not been up to date on this

Upvote 0
Okay.. Let's slow down a bit here. You should take extra care anytime you are flashing bootloaders as you can end up with a non-recoverable device if something goes wrong.

I'm pretty busy today so let's get on the same page to simplify things, and let's keep the replies to this thread to cut down on confusion.

Before we go any further, I need to be clear on your overall goal. I know you are giving the phone to a friend, but does he even want a custom rom, or would he prefer stock?

Basically, I just need a clear answer of exactly what you want.

How about this; choose one of the options below:
1.) I want to be fully stock with the latest official updates (Ice Cream Sandwich)
2.) I want to be fully stock on Gingerbread. (Will prompt you to update to ICS)
3. I would like to be on a custom rom; [ROM NAME HERE]

You are s-off, we can easily get you to where you want to be. That just needs to be clear, and as long as you follow the directions given, and ask instead of altering from the instructions, you can be on any setup you'd like.

I wouldn't really recommend giving someone a rooted phone that doesn't know about rooting. Most would probably prefer a stock experience unless they are into rooting.

Even if you give it to him stock, you can leave s-off and he can easily root any time he chooses.

Upvote 0
Hey, I replied to your thread that you started. Let's keep further conversation in one place to cut down on confusion.

But to answer your question, these are bootloader flashable zips. They cannot be flashed via recovery. They need to be placed on the sd card and named PG86IMG.zip.

But please read my reply in your existing thread. Don't flash anything else. Let's just slow down a bit and get on the same page. I'll check your other thread for replies throughout the day. Just be patient, I'll pop in every now and then.

Upvote 0
Okay.. Let's slow down a bit here. You should take extra care anytime you are flashing bootloaders as you can end up with a non-recoverable device if something goes wrong.

I'm pretty busy today so let's get on the same page to simplify things, and let's keep the replies to this thread to cut down on confusion.

Before we go any further, I need to be clear on your overall goal. I know you are giving the phone to a friend, but does he even want a custom rom, or would he prefer stock?

Basically, I just need a clear answer of exactly what you want.

How about this; choose one of the options below:
1.) I want to be fully stock with the latest official updates (Ice Cream Sandwich)
2.) I want to be fully stock on Gingerbread. (Will prompt you to update to ICS)
3. I would like to be on a custom rom; [ROM NAME HERE]

You are s-off, we can easily get you to where you want to be. That just needs to be clear, and as long as you follow the directions given, and ask instead of altering from the instructions, you can be on any setup you'd like.

I wouldn't really recommend giving someone a rooted phone that doesn't know about rooting. Most would probably prefer a stock experience unless they are into rooting.

Even if you give it to him stock, you can leave s-off and he can easily root any time he chooses.

Thanks to both of you - so much.

I know, the goal has changed a couple times as I've received various bits of feedback. I like your idea of getting everything up to date - AND I would like to keep it rooted and S-off for him. He liked that it was already rooted.

So, in light of that, my current goal (and I'll stick to it if you say we can do it) is to have it rooted, up to date with firmware, and on, let's say, Cool ICS - some current, stable rom. UNLESS you really think it's not a good idea to give it to him rooted. He is planning to use it with wifi and not have a carrier at this point, if that makes a difference.

What is on the screen now is the Sprint update message. Do I want to update to 2.95 or discard? Earlier you had said to do the Sprint update after installing this 2.89 RUU.

I'm ready for my next instruction. :)

Upvote 0
FYI, you can go completely stock and then root. What I mean by that is you don't have to flash a custom rom to have root. You can just flash the root binaries to add root to the stock setup.

So did you successfully run the RUU? What state are you in now? If the RUU was successful, you should be stock. Stock recovery, stock everything. Hboot 1.58.0000, though if I understood correctly you downgraded the hboot again?

Since you are S-Off, rooting is so easy. I personally would first run the 2.89 RUU, then take the 2.95 update.

After that we can add 4ext recovery via a PG86IMG.zip and then flash root. That will have everything stock and up to date but with root added so he can use root only apps and such.

Does that sound like a plan? If so start off with the RUU to get everything to a stock state. You will still be unlocked and S-off. After RUU, take the OTA update.

Once you're there, we'll do the next steps

Upvote 0
FYI, you can go completely stock and then root. What I mean by that is you don't have to flash a custom rom to have root. You can just flash the root binaries to add root to the stock setup.

So did you successfully run the RUU? What state are you in now? If the RUU was successful, you should be stock. Stock recovery, stock everything. Hboot 1.58.0000, though if I understood correctly you downgraded the hboot again?

Since you are S-Off, rooting is so easy. I personally would first run the 2.89 RUU, then take the 2.95 update.

After that we can add 4ext recovery via a PG86IMG.zip and then flash root. That will have everything stock and up to date but with root added so he can use root only apps and such.

Does that sound like a plan? If so start off with the RUU to get everything to a stock state. You will still be unlocked and S-off. After RUU, take the OTA update.

Once you're there, we'll do the next steps

Ok! Sounds great! I did do the RUU update and am now at 2.89. I didn't do the OTA for 2.95 yet, but will now. That message is on my screen, but I didn't want to make another move till I heard from you! :) I will do that now and will report back. I'm also painting polyurethane on a computer-table/desk I'm making, so it may be a few minutes. :)

UPDATE: Did the OTA. Software version says: 2.89.651.2710RD. Android 4.0.3, HTC Sense 3.6. I thought it would go to 2.95. I don't care so much about that - unless I should! :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Great! Now add custom recovery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6q8wi58xzidgan/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_PG86IMG.zip

Rename to PG86IMG.zip
Put on the root of your sd card and boot into bootloader. Hit volume up to say yes. Once that is done you should have 4ext recovery on their phone.

After that, we'll add root. Let me know when recovery is done and I'll link you to the last file. After that we'll be all done. :)

Upvote 0
Great!
Make sure the PG86IMG.zip is deleted from the SD card.

Download the latest supersu: http://download.chainfire.eu/376/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.89.zip

Place that wherever you'd like on the SD card. Boot into recovery and install that like you would install a rom. Should only take a second and then you'll be rooted.

Just a heads up, I'm falling asleep as I type this. You should be good after flashing this file but in case anything goes wrong, I may not reply until the am.

Seems like all the steps have gone smoothly so far though.

Upvote 0
Great!
Make sure the PG86IMG.zip is deleted from the SD card.

Download the latest supersu: SuperSU Download

Place that wherever you'd like on the SD card. Boot into recovery and install that like you would install a rom. Should only take a second and then you'll be rooted.

Just a heads up, I'm falling asleep as I type this. You should be good after flashing this file but in case anything goes wrong, I may not reply until the am.

Seems like all the steps have gone smoothly so far though.

Yes, all going very smoothly. Going into recovery now and will install. Thank you for your wonderful help tonight. Catch you in the a.m. Have a good night!

:party:

Upvote 0
SuperSU installed just fine last night. All is well. And I feel fine about giving it to him in this updated stock state - and unlocked, rooted, S-off. I did add a couple apps, but that's it.

Now, before I give this to my friend, what about in the Settings \ About Phone \ Current Username - it has <my name>03@sprintpcs.com and also under Phone number it has my number. How does that get changed? (Maybe the IMSI number too? I don't know what that is.) The cell has been deactivated since I bought my One over a week ago.

I will double check the SD card and delete any file that doesn't need to stay there. Is there anything else I should do before sending it off today?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones