Updating rooted 2.1 to OTA 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone. I'm a bit noobish since this is my first Android phone, so please forgive me.

I rooted my Droid X running 2.1 using the GUI program. I used Root Explorer to rename a few bloatware apps. I did not make any other changes, just installed Titanium Backup and used it to make a backup. To successfully install the OTA update to 2.2, what do I need to do? I read that I need to restore the bloatware. Do I also need to unroot first? I've also read in a couple places something about moving Superuser.apk from bin to xbin. Is that what I need to do to stay rooted in 2.2?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience. :eek:

Advertisement
  2. mykd99

mykd99 Well-Known Member

3. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

I also say wait for Birdman to release a clean version of the update. You other option is to SBF back to stock and then update. The second option will severely limit your options in the future. I recommend the first. patience.

4. silverdreams

I read through that boot loader watch thread and I'm not sure I understand what's going on. What did Moto do to the boot loader?

5. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Changed the keys so that you CANNOT downgrade back to 2.1. Once you're on 2.2 you're always on 2.2

6. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

They changed the key when they updated the bootloader. Now the 2.1 SBF will not flash because it has the OLD key.

7. silverdreams

Oooooohhhh... I see. So if at any point (after installing 2.2) I tried to do a factory reset on the phone, it wouldn't work?