Updating Rooted Hero to 2.1

Last Updated:

1. Idioteque

Idioteque New Member This Topic's Starter

Rooted my HTC Hero a few weeks back but ran into a few problems so reverted back to the original ROM. Now when I try to update the phone to 2.1, it restarts and says "Verification Signature failed". Any ideas how I would I get around this?

cheers

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

How did you revert back? If you only restored the nandroid backup, you still need to restore your original recovery image. Then it should update just fine.

3. Idioteque

No nandroid backup, I just downloaded the rom from the HTC website, changed it to update.zip and followed the rooting instructions

4. Xyro

Yeah you still need to replace the recovery image then I think.

I'm not sure specifically what that update.img from the update contains, but since you have to flash it with the recovery menu, I don't think it will contain the normal recovery menu.

If you can still boot into the amon ra recovery image then you know for sure that's the problem.

Do you have a backed up recovery image from when you rooted?

5. Idioteque

Nope no backup of anything, only resources I have are the ones available on the net...

6. Xyro

I couldn't find any on google, but I do have mine from when I originally rooted mine (a T-Mobile G2 Hero). But I've never heard of people restoring other people's recovery images before, so you would be venturing into the unknown if you did that.

You could always install the official firmware the normal way via a PC. That would definitely restore it, but it would also wipe your phone.

7. LilDali

LilDali New Member

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I bought my Hero used and it looks like it was rooted at one point. I down loaded the generic rom from HTC after the s/n check because I wanted to wipe my phone and start over with the 2.1. I have HTC Sync on my laptop (Windows 7 Ult.) but it does not connect to my phone but it does see my sd card when I mount it.

Any suggestions on how I can install the RUU from HTC so I can start the 2 part process to get 2.1?

Thanks

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Have you tried running the update file? Having a fully-functional HTC Sync isn't required so long as certain drivers load. There's a thread somewhere in here detailing a solution to Win7 sync issues.... ah-ha, maybe this post will help you.

LilDali likes this.