• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Updating rooted phone

My Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 received an update, and I've tried installing it, but it keeps failing, probably because my phone is rooted? The baseband is currently L720VPUFNAE and Sprint says this will update it to baseband L720VPUFNG2. What does this update contain/what will it do? How do I go about updating the phone? I won't have to reset or wipe it clean, will I?

My Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 received an update, and I've tried installing it, but it keeps failing, probably because my phone is rooted? The baseband is currently L720VPUFNAE and Sprint says this will update it to baseband L720VPUFNG2. What does this update contain/what will it do? How do I go about updating the phone? I won't have to reset or wipe it clean, will I?

Hi kturcotte, if your phone is rooted you will not be able to install any official OTA updates from Sprint. It fails because of your custom recovery. If you go into recovery mode (power button+volume up+home button) it should bring you to a custom recovery if you had one installed when you rooted it.

As far as updating you have a few options
1) you can search for stock rooted updates for the Sprint L720 or
2) you can actually flash a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod or AOKP and not deal with official updates from Sprint. The thing about Sprint updates is that they break root. You will have to wait for developers to build a stock rooted ROM for you to flash so you don't lose root. Let us know if you have any further questions! We're here to help! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones