• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Updating sports team player names

DeadMeatGF

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Hi folks,

I am playing with building an app for my rugby team, and I've got good chunks of it working.
Where I'm struggling is with the teams - and it's probably that I'm approaching it from the wrong direction - and being able to update the player names depending on the current selection.

I can pull the existing names from the database and populate a listview, but I need to be able to select an entry, change the name, and have it push the new name back into the database. Further down the line I'll be wanting to update multiple columns - e.g. player status. Again, I can display this in a custom ListView but can't work out how to get the info updated and pushed back into the db.

It may be that a ListView is the wrong tool for this, if so can you advise and hopefully point me at a tutorial or two that will help me get me head around it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that, just had a quick scan - the first one is kind of the opposite to what I want, rather than a pop-up with a ListView in I could have a pop-up on long-press with a TextView and have the datasource update when it closes.
The Vogella one is where I learned most of what I have so far and unless I'm missing something it covers everything except changing the ListView on a press/long-press :(

On the other hand, it does deal with receiving a long-press - so if I can get my head around it I should be able to get it working with: long-press ... pop-up ... push to data source on close (but not cancel!) ... notify ListView.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones