Updating the "rom build"

Last Updated:

1. suchanicemonster

suchanicemonster New Member This Topic's Starter

Lekky, you posted somewhere that one of the first things new Hero users should do is check that you have the latest Rom Build. I read on the HTC website that for my Unlocked GSM Hero I should have 2.73.xxx.x. My phone says I have 2.3, I think (It actually says, "MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.3 Core"). What steps do I take to update my ROM build?

Part 2 of this question: My phone is running on 1.5, and I've heard people saying that 2.1 is now widely available for the non-Sprint Hero, and being "pushed" in most parts of the world. (I purchased my phone in the states, and brought to Israel this week where I'm now using it.) I don't have any particular service for it other than regular cellphone service with a Cellcom SIM card. Is there a way I can actively download the 2.1 to my phone, or do I just have to "wait"?

Justin

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I presume this was a pre-owned handset, as it's been rooted and has a third-party ROM loaded. It's still Android 1.5 though, despite the name. :)

You should be able to flash any of the currently-available 2.1-based custom ROMs. I'd suggest taking a look in the All Things Root sub-forum for advice and easy-to-follow guides. All the hard work has already been done for you (custom recovery image, rooting etc) in order to load MCR2.3.

toocoldhere likes this.
  3. suchanicemonster

suchanicemonster New Member This Topic's Starter

Hmmm... I'm actually pretty upset that someone sold me a ROOTed Hero on eBay and didn't mention that fact. :eek: This "root" thing completely baffles (and terrifies) me. Pretend for a second that you're explaining this to your grandmother (I'm that clueless, just about): Can I still I upgrade to 2.1 firmware, and which ROM update do I need to update to at this point?

(By the way, sorry if I'm asking this to the wrong thread,but I looked at All About Root and felt completely lost. Wouldn't even know how to ask a question.) Thanks. - SuchaNiceMonster

4. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Sure you can. You can, since your phone is rooted, install a custom 2.1-based ROM (VillainROM 10 is the best, they say) or just reinstall the stock 1.5 firmware and do the over-the-air upgrade to 2.1.

Check out the official GSM 2.1 thread, you will find all the info you need there :)

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

VillanROM12 is the best, completely stable 2.1 ROM. It's based on the official 2.1 update but obviously brings all the goodness of root access.

suchanicemonster, we can talk you through putting the official 2.1 update on your phone, or we can help you install the best non-official ROM. Since your phone is rooted already it makes sense to go for the non-official (and better) ROM, but the choice is up to you :)

EDIT: I thought this discussion was off topic enough to warrant being moved to the rooting section, rather than hijacking lekky's thread :p

6. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

The first time I read that guide, I was terrified to root my phone. I promise you, IF you install Villain12 you will be pleased with it. I also promise you that after flashing a new ROM once you'll wonder what all the fuss was about..........I did

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Plus, if the phone's already rooted, all the hard work is already done :)

8. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

Exactly !!

Go for it