updating tips?Tips

1. Nikguy

Nikguy Well-Known Member

So i am going to finally update to the latest firmware (my phone finally harassed me enough to make me do it). I am on the old firmware, rooted, with CWM, and the custom loki kernel.

Can i get away with just doing the unbrick/unroot method then OTA update? Or do i need to factory reset and wipe every scrap of data again?

If the second option is a necessity, what are people's favorite ways to back up data? Does anyone have a good way to soften the blow of a full factory reset?

A factory reset wont be the end of the world, but it is always kind of a pain in the a** to set everything up and download everything again...

Thanks for the response guys! And May the Lucid 2 community ever grow!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Nikguy

Nikguy Well-Known Member

Well you can just "unbrick/unroot" right into the newest software. This way no user data is lost. Since OTA updates don't work after you modify anything, this seems like a good alternative!
  3. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat Well-Known Member

I actually didn't even have to unroot. I just let the OTA update do its thing, and when it rebooted, it was still rooted. I did have to re-install SuperSU from Play Store (better than SuperUser, imo), but after installing it, it found the SU binary already installed.

I did install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper just in case, and I did back up the SU binary with it, but I'm not sure if that had anything with not losing root.