Updating to 2.1 when available?

Last Updated:

1. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I know there's a lot about 2.1 for the Hero at the moment but I was just wondering about phones with simlocks etc. My Hero is locked to Orange so does that mean I'll have to stick with Orange branded 2.1 updates when they arrive or could I update to the General 2.1 when it's available? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The official updates check device serial numbers I believe, so a generic update won't install on an Orange-issued handset.

Faqade likes this.
  3. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers mate, I'll just have to be patient :)

4. jonous101

jonous101 Well-Known Member

I'm on 3 UK but my phone is unlocked because i bought it sim free, will i have to wait for 3 to release 2.1? Never thought about it until i've just read the above.
    Cheers x

5. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member

I got my Hero from mobiles.co.uk with an Orange contract. There is no branding on the phone whatsoever and no Orange software either.

I'm taking this a sign that I have an unlocked handset. Hopefully, this means I'll be able to use the HTC issued update (please God!)

:D

6. Slug

SIM-free = updates direct from HTC
    Carrier-branded = updates from carrier (but often distributed via HTC)

The situation is slightly confused when resellers supply unlocked handsets on contract e.g Carphone Warehouse. These also aren't generally network-locked and will be updated with the generic HTC version of 2.1.

7. tekknouserid

tekknouserid Member

I have a branded 3 hero. Is there any disadvantage to getting my phone unblocked and using the generic HTC update?
    Thanks

8. Slug

If the current build number isn't one of the generic HTC versions then you can't. Well you can, but you have to disable the CID locks in software using a Goldcard which isn't a trivial process.