Updating to 4.4 from 4.3 (Already Rooted)

1. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Hey guys so I asked on another thread about updating, well I read up that it was just a simply update Safestrap and install the new ROM, factory reset afterwards of course.

Well I updated to the new Safestrap 3.72 and then installed the recovery and rebooted, but now I am stuck in a bootloop, argh :confused:

So should I use Odin to flash over the new Safestrap again or fastboot or what?

Someone also needs to refresh me on my Odin usage haha :)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

So update...I just reverted back to stock firmware from 4.3 :)

Am rerooting now and should be back good to go here soon!
  3. jetguat

jetguat Well-Known Member

Anyone care to help a brother out and provide a slightly more details view of how to do this.

I have HD7 running in Slot 1.
    SafeStrap v3.71 (TWRP v2.6.3.1) running
    Slot 0 still have stock VzW firmware that I currently use on some occasion, but I have to keep exiting so it does not give my the system 4.4 update. I see the warning and sign, but I exit away.

I am considering HD8. Is it worth it over HD7?
    I'm combing through the forums for a bit more of a cookbook on what I need to do. Gonna keep reading through threads, but will post this now.
  4. Digital Controller

5. jetguat

That links familiar. I probably looked at it when I originally rooted. So which parts are relevant if I'm already rooted, and just want to get HD8 working?
  6. Digital Controller

7. jetguat

Ok From the Jasmine ROM, I see these instructions which i think apply. There are some steps that I've never done, even when using Kingo or getting HD6 or HD7 running.

1. Install Safestrap v3.71 JB (follow Safestrap instructions)
    2. Boot into Safestrap & select Stock Slot
    3. Wipe data/system/cache/dalvik
    4. Flash the latest JasmineROM release
    5. Reboot to Download mode from Safestrap
    6. Extract the updated firmware & flash via Odin3
    7. Reboot to system (be patient, the first boot may take a long time!)
    8. Upgrade to Safestrap v3.72 KK (follow Safestrap instructions)
    9. Reboot to Safestrap & select Stock Slot
    10. Flash TogglesEnable to enable all toggles (don't wipe anything)
    11. Reboot to system (it'll be a normal boot)
    12. Follow post-installation instructions in Post #2
    *** Enjoy!

Question 1: what does step 3 really do? Always wondered. On a phone with SafeStrap and two slots used, what does the wipe do?

Question 2: What is the cliff notes version of what "download" mode is? Within safeStrap boot menu, I normally only use "system", from Chief I know to avoid "Recovery". I see the Download option. Just dont know what its for/does.

Question 3: How do I execute/perform step #6. Extract is done on PC? flash via odin on PC? I will look around for links to Odin3. is there a particular version I need or should stay away from?

Question 4: If step #6 flashes firmware, how does it know to go to slot 0. if safeStrap update is in step #8. Then step #9 is select stock slot. that would already have the new ROM right?

Question 5: if I want HD8, do I do that at step #4? I put it in slot 0?
  8. Digital Controller

Step 3 just clears out any unneccesary files that could be lingering around causing interruptions in the system, you just need to know that the install is cleaner when those are deleted beforehand.

Download mode puts your phone in well...download mode haha, but basically your phone goes into this mode to connect directly with your computer so that it can download things onto the device :)

Basically download WinRAR or 7Zip to extract the software and that will get you a tar file, tar files are then flashed using Odin onto your device. Odin is a simple program that flashes firmware and other files onto your device, you need to use odin because these files are not typically recognized by your device as install files so you won't be able to do anything with them in TWRP. Here is a download of the version of Odin that I am using:Odin3_v3.09

Make sure when you flash the said tar file onto your device that you flash it over on the "AP" button in Odin, that is for firmware.

Like I previously have stated (i'm not upset :)), the new version of Safestrap will only work if you put your ROM into the Stock slot, you cannot use the other slots at the moment.

You cannot put the ROM into any slot but the stock one. This just means that you need to make a backup of your current system.

Please be careful with this update, you won't brick your phone, but you might have to mess with it a bunch to get it working correctly, just make sure to read all the steps carefully and understand everything.