• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help updating to kitkat destroyed my galaxy s4

OK so I finally got to update to 4.4.2 from my carrier ( EE UK) but now I wish I had not.
i have a gt-i9505 and never had a problem until now. Using wifi, I initiated an OTA update and waited, the update completed and the device rebooted. I pocketed the phone and went away for half an hour to cook some lunch. When I had finished I pulled my phone from my pocket only to find it off, which seemed strange as I could have sworn there was 40% battery remaining when I put it in my pocket just half an hour prior to this. I connected my charger but nothing happened and for the next few hours I tried various different volume up/down, power and home button combinations while connecting the charger and different stages of this process. eventually I got a vibration and it started to charge i switched it on and it seemed fine but extremely laggy. I woke up the next day phone was still on and i let out a giant phew of relief. However i got to work, got my phone out, the green light was flashing for notifications but no button will wake my screen up. After 10 mins of waiting for it i took out the battery but it has never woke up again since. my screen has been cracked for around six months so when I took the phone (whick is still under warranty) back to the store they cant honour the warranty as the screen is cracked.Go figure
So any ideas would be very gratefully appreciated.
It wont recognise any charger and my battery powers another device no problems i am literally gutted this phone is only 8 months old :(

Seen as how your warranty is kaput due to the cracked screen can you get into download mode and install the stock BTU UK firmware. It sounds like a bad OTA update to me, it can happen. It did on my sisters Galaxy SIII, similar symptoms, but not quite as extreme. I flashed the whole firmware from scratch using Odin for her. OK she had to reset up her phone (all her media was on her external SD card), but it all worked out fine.

While I know my example wasn't from 4.3 to 4.4.2 and was a different device, it, I believe, still rings true.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you are in the UK as I presume you are from your post, the retailer cannot void a warranty because the screen is cracked unless they have a reason to believe that the two are connected. You should speak to the manager in the shop, then write to head office. If neither of those works then speak to your solicitor or a CAB. This is in breach of both UK consumer protection law and EU law.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones