• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating to Lollipop through Kies?

Nagrom

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Cheshire UK
Hi Gang.

Okay so I rooted a while ago, as some may know. I know I can't update to Lollipop OTA, but am I right in thinking I still can through Kies?

I know there was a 1 gig update last time I connected to kies, but it failed when I tried to install it on my Note. Seemed there was a problem reinstalling the USB drivers when the update started.

Also will I have to factory reset in order to open ALL the features of lollipop? A mate at work updated his GS5, but it was full of bugs till he factory reset. Only then did lollipop work without fault.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Updating via Kies shouldn't be an issue, but I highly recommend unrooting first. The only problem then, would be if the phone is able to be re-rooted after the update.

As for whether or not to do a factory reset, it's always recommended to do some kind of erasing of data when flashing, particularly when moving from one version of Android to another. You can try installing without a reset and see how it goes if there's anything you don't want to lose, but if any problems arise, the immediate go-to solution will be to do a factory reset, anyway.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
Okay I'm on my 3rd attempt at upgrading. The the first two failed just after my phone went into download mode. Kies said it didn't recognise my phone, even though it connected fine before I started the update.

The 2nd time I made sure that my phone was reset. Something I didn't do first time.

If it fails again, I'm baffled.

Upvote 0
Kies is garbage, flash the offical Polish version rather than the "leak" it is officially newer but I have not noticed any difference. The only thing I will advise is be careful if you flash the leak. You will be flashing a PIT file, use ADB on your PC to copy your original PIT file as flashing these things scares the bejesus out of me. A messed up PIT file flash can be fatal, and is more risky than a simple AP (PDA) "one file flash" in Odin.

Upvote 0
Cant even get the leak to flash.
Odin cant see my phone in download mode. ONLY when my phone is on normally.

I was unsure about this pit file thingy. Sounds dodgy. if it scares the bejesus out of you, imagine what it scares out of me LOL.

If Odin cant see my phone in download mode, then I'm stuffed anyway.

Googled the Polish Update. Cant find it anywhere. Do you have a link Dyno?

Will the Russian version linked here work? I'm guessing not, cause as far as I know, my phone is still locked to Vodafone UK
http://www.droidviews.com/install-official-android-5-0-lollipop-firmware-galaxy-note-3-sm-n900/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm concerned that Odin can't see your phone in download mode.

To go back to basics, make sure Kies and all is processes are closed in Windows Task manager. Use the original Note 3 USB cable. Turn phone off, battery pull, have a cup of tea (always relieves flashing frustration to have a break), pop battery back in and enter download mode. Make sure you press power up to continue to get the large green Android. Now open Odin on your PC as an administrator. Plug USB lead into PC and then lead into phone. In Odin v3.07 a blue box should appear.

If it is not working try a different USB lead. Then a different USB port. Try from scratch each time when you try a different port.

Nagrom you have the most awkward Note 3 I know of (and I know in RL six I've physically flashed for their owners now apart from mine! ). People actually message me through FB to ask if I would help with their Samsung's. Usually friends of friends of friends. One of my sister's mates brought her mates Note 3 from London to give it Lollipop. Talk about trusting. It came SIM card, memory card, logged into every and all social media sites you can think of. People really don't know what I could do with an open phone that contains their life. I sent it back all updated with a Note (sic) telling then to be more careful, and how to be. I was astounded at her naievety.

Upvote 0
You have a Vodafone SM-N9005 If I remember correctly, it's the correct firmware, it should be fine. No CSC issues there if Vodafone get to push a minor update (V5.0.2 say) in the future. So Kies should work as well. Provided you don't install a custom recovery. Mind you Kies and working properly tend to be mutually exclusive concepts in my experience.

Upvote 0
Okay got a step closer. Put my phone in a differant port from that I use with Kies, and after it installed the drivers again, Odin saw my phone.

The update was going great until the end, when it failed with the following text.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> N9005XXUGBOA5_N9005VFGGBOA2_N9005XXUGBOA1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> tz.mbn
<ID:0/004> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/004> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> modem.bin
<ID:0/004> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> hidden.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Size)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

With the FAIL (size) part, it sounds like there,s not enough space on my phone. Even though I did a full reset.

I now have the Firmware fail, use Kies to repair message. Problem s Kies cant see my phone anymore to run this repair.

Bricked springs to mind.

Giving Odin another go. If it doesnt work this time, I'm going to cry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what was displayed in Download mode. Don't know if whats displayed has any effect.

Attachments

• Download.jpg
    Download.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0
Can't see it working Nagrom to be honest. It is just the Vodafone UK release without Vodafone bloat.

I be been thinking (this is dangerous) in Odin it reports "Fail! (size)" right? I think thus maybe to do with the size of the partitions on your phones (usually) inaccessible portion of the memory you actually flash the firmware to. On the Russian leak there was a new PIT file, this flashes the new partition spaces.

My phone is running the Russian "leak" version without any issues whatsoever. If I were you I'd nip over to XDA and download that and try flashing it,mainly because every Note 3 I have flashed for people to Lollipop I have flashed the Russian leak version.

I suspect a partion problem regarding the size fail, I really do. If your Note 3 is currently a "download only brick" I don't think you have much to lose.

Upvote 0
Anyone know why I can't upgrade to the latest 4.4 firmware? T-Mobile brand Note 3.

Phone settings say I'm on N900TUVUCNB4. There are like five newer versions of firmware out there but Kies is saying I have the latest one.

I'm rooted with Towelroot and my knox is tripped (had a bad OTA upgrade that failed halfway through that caused it).

Don't want to be left hanging when 5.0 is on kies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones