• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating to Lollipop via odin 3.09?

Bodycount

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2012
Columbus, OH
T-Mobile released the official version of Lollipop for the Note 3 the other day. I downloaded the md5 file of sammobile.

Updating via odin 3.09, will this wipe everything on my phone? Meaning I'll have to reinstall all my applications and restore my contacts?

My phone has a flagged knox counter so OTA updates are a thing of the past as it won't scan saying my device is modified. Kies 3 for some reason says I still have the latest firmware which is from May of last year even though there have been several 4.4.2 - 4.4.4 updates since then. So updating via odin 3.09 is my only choice it looks like.

Also after I update, will towelroot work for lollipop?

...Updating via odin 3.09, will this wipe everything on my phone? Meaning I'll have to reinstall all my applications and restore my contacts?

Odin will only overwrite the files on your phone with the ones found in the update, so personal data should be left alone. However, Lollipop is a major change from Jelly Bean/Kit Kat; it's like going from a stock TouchWiz-based ROM to a full-AOSP ROM like Cyanogenmod, so a complete wipe of the phone is highly recommended, but ultimately it's your choice whether or not to do so.

My phone has a flagged knox counter so OTA updates are a thing of the past as it won't scan saying my device is modified. Kies 3 for some reason says I still have the latest firmware which is from May of last year even though there have been several 4.4.2 - 4.4.4 updates since then. So updating via odin 3.09 is my only choice it looks like.

Also after I update, will towelroot work for lollipop?

I can't answer this question, unfortunately, as I have no idea. It's been my experience in the past that when a device gets an upgrade, generally a new root method is required. However, with this phone, I've rooted it 2-3 times due to updates, and used the same files, method and everything each time, so who knows?

Upvote 0
Went ahead and did it tonight. Everything updated great. Took about 15 minutes total from start to finish.

Only issue I have that I'm seeing is that the settings won't open. Try to open it and it keeps saying it stopped and closes.

Also I need to gain root back as towelroot doesn't function anymore. Lots of guides on how to do it with odin and lollipop. I'm guessing it will work with this version as well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Anyone have a root method for lollipop that works? This method below doesn't work.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-root-g...ild-n900xxugbnl8-install-cwm-recovery-1482855

Gets stuck at the CF-Auto-Root section. Phone says invalid file and freezes. Had to reinstall lollipop after because it screwed up my bootloader.

I have a 900t rooted with lollipop after flashing it on odin u probably got root and dont even know it just install "supersu" from the play store and it should ask u to grant root access if it doesnt u dont have root.
But odin definately works safe and easy for lollipop samsung galaxy s5 900t for tmobile
Just thought i try to help while i was lookin for more info of custom roms for my 900t

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones