• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

upgrade advice (bang for buck/used)

badmts

Mar 18, 2012
Seattle
Well my first foray into the smartphone jungle was an unqualified success as I got a Bravo for 60 bucks off of CL and "like" it alot . But with all the iPhone hoopla and Galaxy counter ads maybe its time to upgrade.I actually don't use the phone too much but I watch tons of youtube and listen to internet radio at night (talk radio) .I am NOT on a data plan as the amount of free wifi has been enough ,what I am wondering most about is music quality through the ear buds and screen size and speaker volume . Any input is welcome but keep in mind that I need sim card and under $200 (no plan/no bs)-thanks

Well honestly a lot of phones are really expensive with no plans, good ones, usually ranging from like 450-650+, iPhone 5 bs and 800 dollar price tag, EWW.

Anyhow though Best bang for buck without a plan is https://play.google.com/store/devic...XZpY2VzX1VTX18xX3Byb21vXzEzNDc2OTA0NTIyOTciXQ..

Yes over your price tag but it is a really good phone, not top tier, but still a good phone, unlocked, and can perform whatever you want it to :D

Upvote 0
I just bought myself a Galaxy S2X, I had it for 300CDN$... I'm thinking that you could go for a used Galaxy S2 on Ebay, it is a damn good phone, and with the S3 out some ppl will want to let their "old" phone go. As for audio quality, it is not incredible, but with good buds and a good player with multi band EQ (as Jetaudio, which i'm using) it sounds great.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
Well, both phones performance wise are similar, but I'd take the SII since its more likely to be updated to Jelly Bean than the Photon, which is a legacy device coming from when Motorola still was not Google owned. But I'd also throw in a Galaxy Nexus if you can get one since it will be supported by updates far longer than any non Nexus device. Just be wary that it has limited storage and no SD card expansion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones