• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade and keep unlimited data plan?

artbytes

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011
I now have an Android smart phone with an unlimited data plan. Soon, I'll be eligible for un upgrade phone with a new contract. I'd like to order from Costco online, (They don't have the Skyrocket in the store.) Is it possible to order the Skyrocket online and stll keep my existing unlimited data plan?

Many times the online store doesn't list an option to keep an existing plan. You have to choose one of the listed plans to complete the form. I would call them if they have a toll-free order line. It's not usually a problem when you have an actual person to speak to. Just tell them you want no changes to your account.

Reactions: artbytes
Upvote 0
If you're buying a subsidized skyrocket, you'll have to switch from your current data plan and pick a new one...not unlimited. You might avoid this if you currently have an lte phone, but I specifically remember the warning dialog box during the ordering process through at&t that I would have to select a new data plan and that I could not switch back once I made the change.

Upvote 0
If you're buying a subsidized skyrocket, you'll have to switch from your current data plan and pick a new one...not unlimited. You might avoid this if you currently have an lte phone, but I specifically remember the warning dialog box during the ordering process through at&t that I would have to select a new data plan and that I could not switch back once I made the change.

You were told wrong. My wife and I upgraded our phones from 3G Androids to subsidized Skyrockets in April. Although AT&T switched us to the DataPro 3GB plan despite the in-store agent telling us that we could keep unlimited (I think they do this intentionally and hope you don't notice), a 15-minute phone call to Customer Care took care of it, and within a week, we had our unlimited plan back. It shows up as "LTE UNL" on your bill.

Edit to add: we handled our upgrades in an AT&T brick-and-mortar store. With the unlimited data plan at stake if something got messed up online, I wanted to have the name of the sales rep and the location he works at filed away just in case my data plan switched, as it did. I've always preferred to do phone upgrades in-store anyway, as they'll usually cut you a pretty good deal on accessories. A couple of years back when buying my old Captivate, I got an $80 Bluetooth headset out of the AT&T sales rep for $40, and a $35 case for $10.

Upvote 0
Glad to be wrong :) AT&T has been pretty good about fixing problems for me in the past, sounds like they're still trying to rectify issues, I wonder though if the policy is not to allow customers to keep the unlimited plan when upgrading and they leave it up to the rep to decide whether or not to switch it back if the customer notices?

I figure the unlimited plan is a bit hit or miss for some anyway, since they do throttle some customers at just over the 2GB level. As long as you're not in that top 5% it is worth holding onto.

Upvote 0
I was able to keep my unlimited data plan when upgrading to the SR from the Atrix earlier this year just took a few extra minutes for the person to check with a supervisor first. I normally never go over 2GB anyway except for last month when they throttled me after using 5GB in 2 weeks, second SR the email app kept refreshing so ended up getting a new one a few weeks ago and AT&T credited my bill for $30 since I was throttled for 2 weeks and it wasn't my fault.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to hear that they will work with you. I also didn't realize that they would sometimes discount items if you bought in the store. That would help offset the price difference.

For my last upgrade, from the iPhone to Android, Amazon said thet couldn't retain my unlimited data plan. However, Costco could. Buying from Costco turned out to be good, because of their 90 day exchange policy. The video recording ceased to work after about 2 months (Motorola Atrix). I took it back the day that the Samsung Infuse came out and got one of those. I'm much happier with the Infuse all around. It turned out to be a really good deal for me.

Upvote 0
I figure the unlimited plan is a bit hit or miss for some anyway, since they do throttle some customers at just over the 2GB level. As long as you're not in that top 5% it is worth holding onto.

An inside source, quite a bit higher-placed than the in-store sales reps or phone service reps, has told me that 3GB of usage in a month will "get their attention", with high data usage over shorter periods (1.5GB in a week was an example cited) also likely to raise a flag and get some eyes on your account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones