• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade available. Droid X or iPhone? Please help me out. *sigh*

The problem?
- Not as in love with my Moto Droid as first bought.
-Many replacements,nothing has helped.
-Upgrade available.
- iPhone 4 or Droid X?

What do I look for in a phone?
-Speed. Fast app downloads,camera,browser,sending/recieveing messages.

-An AWESOME battery life. Since I never talk on the phone, I am always on Facebook and Twitter,etc and I don't want a phone I have to charge 2-3 times a day.

Thats it. I'm 17 years old and I don't care which phone is better for calls,email,or anything buisness related.Heck,I only use 5 mins a month.

Help.

P.S I know that if you root a Droid X,it becomes well,a beast. I don't ever plan on rooting or jailbreaking a phone,because I am afraid of the future consequences. As this being said,I will not be jailbreaking the iPhone if that comes to be my decision.

try out the dx and see what you think. then try out an iphone at your local att store (will be virtually the same as verizon's iphone).

dx has best battery life of all of the droids. dont know about the iphone.
dx is good for techies or tinkerers.
iphone is very popular for women; and is easy to use (not saying women are dumb, just looking at the statistics).
you will not get flash on the iphone unless you jailbreak, dx already has flash
cant get netflix on the dx atm, but you can on the iphone
alot of apps for the iphone but the majority are paid. android apps are not as mature, but alot more are free

Reactions: Ally305
Upvote 0
Today I went to my Verizon store and was talking to an employee and he said he would never give up his Dx for the iPhone. So this made me think about my decision even more and I went to play around with the Dx. It's large screen is fascinating,but I just love the retina display that the iPhone has.

Then I went to a local AT&T as you suggested and played around with the iPhone 4.The screen resolution just blew me away. I didnt know how to do much on it because that was the first time I had ever used one.

Ive started to dislike the Android market. Im limited to ONLY free apps and can't find much to my likeing. I dont know how the app store on the Apple is?

Upvote 0
If you can ONLY do free apps, then you are better sticking with android. MOST apps for Iphone are paid. Personally I would hold my horses and see what the new generation of 4g phones have to offer. The Thunderbolt will be out soon and in reality, with the amount of backorders there are going to be for the Iphone, even with it being released sooner you will probably get your hands on the Thunderbolt first. If you're into nice displays, check out the initial reviews of the Droid Bionic. resolution is on par with the retina display of the Iphone. Its slated for a 1H release.

Upvote 0
I'd say go for an iphone 4 :)
I had both a droid x and iphone 4

I loved my droid x but for how you described your experience with the OG droid
and your lack of interest in other features

the iphone is your best fit

Facebook for android and facebook for iphone...no competition there...you will definitely love the iphone since you love to facebook

the size of the droid x might be too big for you vs the iphone which is only slightly smaller than your OG droid

and of course an easier and fluid out of box experience....it works perfectly without doing any major tweaking to it....

I say go for the iphone first when you upgrade....you know android already with the OG so go to iphone and you might like it...if not, then go back to android with the Droid X

Upvote 0
I'd say if you aren't crazy about your D1 then you'd might want to try out the iPhone. I say that because the iPhone is totally different to your Droid compared to the DX. The DX is like a D1 on Redbull. Its quicker & more powerful, but I'm thinking if you aren't in love with your Droid, then you proly wouldn't be over the moon with the DX.

Which leaves us with the iPhone since its the only other option you gave. Have fun with it!

Upvote 0
I'd say if you aren't crazy about your D1 then you'd might want to try out the iPhone. I say that because the iPhone is totally different to your Droid compared to the DX. The DX is like a D1 on Redbull. Its quicker & more powerful, but I'm thinking if you aren't in love with your Droid, then you proly wouldn't be over the moon with the DX.

Which leaves us with the iPhone since its the only other option you gave. Have fun with it!

I wouldn't say it's a Droid with redbull....
a Droid and Droid X are different....Not just b/c of speed....But it has a whole different layer to it...Things are exactly the same(Vanilla Android vs Blur android...I personally prefer blur android over vanilla...i always hated vanilla)

but speedwise...i honestly dont remember it being too much faster than a OG droid
q

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone.
Jreed- I've heard good things about the Bionic,but any word on when it's released?

mruno- hmm,that doesnt sound bad. :( because I live in a small,small,town!

carmendiva- since you've had both phones,which one has a better battery life? oh and about the fascinate,I was wanting one that one too but I didnt put it up as an option because I dont know how different it is from the other Droids and I don't know anything about the battery life.

outlaw71- that's also what i've been thinking! i see a DX as a big,big,big,big moto droid. i want something different!

Upvote 0
all depends on if you care about 4g though...a lot of ppl dont know what 4g is really and some(like myself) dont care about 4g...wi-fi will always be faster to me

so dont base a phone solely on having 4g or not....think of it as an added benefit that you will never use(like DLNA on my android phones)

That would be me! I don't really know what 4g is. It's faster,right??
Do you know which phone has a better battery life? The iPhone or DX or Fascinate?

Another thing I really like in phones is being able to customize which Android gets a 10 in,but thats not the most important thing I look for in a phone. I rather have a phone with a better battery life with less customization.

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone.
Jreed- I've heard good things about the Bionic,but any word on when it's released?

mruno- hmm,that doesnt sound bad. :( because I live in a small,small,town!

carmendiva- since you've had both phones,which one has a better battery life? oh and about the fascinate,I was wanting one that one too but I didnt put it up as an option because I dont know how different it is from the other Droids and I don't know anything about the battery life.

outlaw71- that's also what i've been thinking! i see a DX as a big,big,big,big moto droid. i want something different!

Iphone 4 batteries I hear are really good...i owned an iphone for a few days before i went on to another device(i'm a phone whore lol so i generally have experience with all android phones...right down to the lil guys i.e backflips lmao)

I owned a Droid X for like 2 months....Battery life to me was pretty bad. I am a heavy user and I have my screen brightness set on high and it got me through 4 hours before dying...not to mention i had my accounts checking for mail and facebook messages like every minute

Same type of settings on an iphone, i got like 7-8 hours....
Not to mention i like to videochat and take pictures and send to friends etc so that is pretty good to me.

I also thought about it. Facebook wise/social networking wise, the Droid X might be better just because Blur Android is pretty good for those who like to social network...But i still say give an iphone 4 a try. Much more stable platform and if you don't like the iphone 4, return it and wait for a Droid Bionic not a Droid X(it's still blur android and its better)

Upvote 0
That would be me! I don't really know what 4g is. It's faster,right??
Do you know which phone has a better battery life? The iPhone or DX or Fascinate?

Another thing I really like in phones is being able to customize which Android gets a 10 in,but thats not the most important thing I look for in a phone. I rather have a phone with a better battery life with less customization.

I never owned a fascinate but i did own a Captivate and Vibrant which all 3 are the same phones just on different carriers

I'd say
from best to worse
Iphone 4
Samsung Fascinate(based on the Vibrant and Captivate)
Droid X

Android on your motorola droid, Droid X, and Samsung Fascinate are the same generally. It's just Vanilla Android is bland to me and Blur android found on the Droid X is tweaked differently than touchwiz android....They have the same basic functions but each has enhancements

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 again possibly when it comes to Verizon if the HTC pro 7 isn't released next month

and customization is cool but all my android phones generally looked the same way they did when i took 'em out the box. I dont really like having to scroll through different desktops looking for a particular widget(WHICH IS WHY I LOVE WINDOWS PHONE 7)

Upvote 0
I never owned a fascinate but i did own a Captivate and Vibrant which all 3 are the same phones just on different carriers

I'd say
from best to worse
Iphone 4
Samsung Fascinate(based on the Vibrant and Captivate)
Droid X

Android on your motorola droid, Droid X, and Samsung Fascinate are the same generally. It's just Vanilla Android is bland to me and Blur android found on the Droid X is tweaked differently than touchwiz android....They have the same basic functions but each has enhancements

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 again possibly when it comes to Verizon if the HTC pro 7 isn't released next month

and customization is cool but all my android phones generally looked the same way they did when i took 'em out the box. I dont really like having to scroll through different desktops looking for a particular widget(WHICH IS WHY I LOVE WINDOWS PHONE 7)

I havent heard anything about the HTC pro 7. And I'm not familiar with Windows phones at all,either. You really convinced me along with everyone here,I've decided on the iPhone because of the battery life.That is what I really look for in a phone. Thanks so much.

*EDIT* Do you think I will be able to use the internet while I'm on the phone like the AT&T iPhone allows??

Upvote 0
I havent heard anything about the HTC pro 7. And I'm not familiar with Windows phones at all,either. You really convinced me along with everyone here,I've decided on the iPhone because of the battery life.That is what I really look for in a phone. Thanks so much.

*EDIT* Do you think I will be able to use the internet while I'm on the phone like the AT&T iPhone allows??

Ally305(are you from the 305 Florida), i love wp7 :)

Go check out a video review for the Samsung Focus on youtube. It is amazing

but yay! Im sure you will love your iphone

but no, you wont be able to use data and phone at the same time.
Because Verizon is CDMA and it only allows one or the other....unless your on wi-fi....if your on wi-fi go for it

At&t uses GSM which allows you to use data and talk on the phone at the same time....

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say it's a Droid with redbull....
q

I would.

;)

You may not have noticed a difference in speed between the D1 & the DX, but it's there. The D1 had a 550 mhz processor compared to the DX's 1 ghz... that's twice as fast. Additionally the DX has more RAM, a ton more internal storage, a huge screen &.... well, you get the picture.

The fact that the D1 didn't come loaded down with blur is the only advantage it holds over the DX IMO. But that's just me. Since you actually like blur and not vanilla you obviously wouldn't agree. But that is quite alright, there's no reason for us to have to feel the same way about it.

Upvote 0
Ally305(are you from the 305 Florida), i love wp7 :)

Go check out a video review for the Samsung Focus on youtube. It is amazing

but yay! Im sure you will love your iphone

but no, you wont be able to use data and phone at the same time.
Because Verizon is CDMA and it only allows one or the other....unless your on wi-fi....if your on wi-fi go for it

At&t uses GSM which allows you to use data and talk on the phone at the same time....

Yes,I am from the 305. Hehe :p
I'll check out the Samsung Focus,what was the name of the other one that is also coming in Febuary?

Upvote 0
I don't think you can go wrong with either phone. Both are great products.

For Battery life, the Droid X is in a league of its own, especially if you get the extended battery. The display, as you mentioned, IS more crisp on the iPhone though.

Bottom line is, do you want the stock look that the iPhone will give you or a more customized look that only Android can give you. This was the only reason (besides AT&T services sucking) that I left my iPhone behind after 2 years. I LOVED my iPhone but it drove me insane that I couldn't customize more of it. I had to jailbreak it to get what I wanted it to do.

Not sure if this helps much but really this is a personal decision. I love my Droid X and am very happy with it. I would not trade mine in for an iPhone, especially after playing with both of them side by side. Would I trade it in for an iPhone 5? Honestly, depending on what it would offer...yes.

Upvote 0
Yes,I am from the 305. Hehe :p
I'll check out the Samsung Focus,what was the name of the other one that is also coming in Febuary?

I recognized the area code :)

the samsung focus is an at&t phone but i just suggested it because it would showcases windows phone 7

but i've been calling the phone the wrong name. the verizon windows phone is called HTC trophy(whcih is also on youtube)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones