Upgrade from 1.5?

1. AMZ

AMZ Member

I have HTC Hero running 1.5. I am not prepared to undertake rooting. When the upgrade to 2.1 (I think) became available, there were hundreds of posts on this forum about people having horrible experiences (such as very long phone lag), and I have never been willing to try it. I mentioned this recently at the Sprint store and the guy said there had been several upgrades since then, implying that these problems were pretty much taken care of with these later upgrades (however, when I look at the HTC site, I see only the 2.1 Software Update | 05.19.2010 and a Maintenance Release 2.32.651.2 | 11.22.2010). So, should I take the plunge? I'm not willing to deal with 20 second phone lag. My only reasons to upgrade are (a) I'm getting increasingly horrible battery life, and the Sprint guy said that was a function of 1.5, and (b) to run some of the apps that don't run under 1.5. I also apologize; I realize that the answer to my question is probably somewhere in this forum, but I've tried and haven't found much comment on this issue lately. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

The latest OTA updates to the Sprint HTC Hero, by and large, took care of the lag issues with the phone dialer app. I would very much recommend taking the plunge to bring your handset up to Android 2.1.

The software on the Sprint website will get you to Android 2.1. If there are any newer OTA updates available, they will be pushed to your handset automatically and then you can choose to let them be installed or ignore them.