• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade from Magic

So I'm stuck on contract with Rogers for another almost 2 years. I'm currently having a rooted Magic running Froyo but considering buying a decent new generation Android phone for a full price.
My first choice would be Nexus S if it ever gets ported to Rogers frequencies but if not then what do you guys think are my other choices?

Captivate. That is the only choice on rogers that is any good and currently the galaxy s series are the most powerful of all android phones as no tegra 2 phones have been released yet. Next choice Desire Z or Desire HD ( when it comes to telus ). Really those are the only choices

Rogers data frequencies don't exactly match Bell's or Telus's, right? So if I understand correctly Desire Z or HD would work on Rogers only in 2G. This is no good.

I just checked Android phones on AT&T - the selection is pretty poor: few Motorola phones that I'll definitely stay away from, X10, HTC Aria and the Captivate.

Darn, it looks like my choices are very limited: Captivate or Xperia...
I really hope Google / Samsung will make Nexus S for AT&T / Rogers frequencies.

Upvote 0
My first choice would be Nexus S if it ever gets ported to Rogers frequencies but if not then what do you guys think are my other choices?

I was an early adopter (August 2009) of the HTC Magic. I passed the phone along to my wife and the used her HUP to upgrade to the Samsung Captivate. What a difference! I miss the Sense UI - but in every other way, the Captivate is far superior. Besides that stunning screen, blazing fast CPU and loads of memory - the camera on the Captivate is very good - great video and decent low-light photos. (I thought the camera on the Magic was quite poor.)

Upvote 0
Rogers data frequencies don't exactly match Bell's or Telus's, right? So if I understand correctly Desire Z or HD would work on Rogers only in 2G. This is no good.

I just checked Android phones on AT&T - the selection is pretty poor: few Motorola phones that I'll definitely stay away from, X10, HTC Aria and the Captivate.

This is not true.. Rogers Bell and Telus use the same bands. Rogers uses a few extra but you can take your phone if its unlocked to any of the Canadian network. and it will work great. they all use 850mhz and 1900mhz and 2100mhz..

Upvote 0
This is not true.. Rogers Bell and Telus use the same bands. Rogers uses a few extra but you can take your phone if its unlocked to any of the Canadian network. and it will work great. they all use 850mhz and 1900mhz and 2100mhz..

Right, thank you. I've done some more reading and figured as much. I'm actually considering getting a Captivate or Vibrant if the S won't become available in the next month or two.
Question to Vibrant / Captivate owners: is not having flash a big problem for you?

Upvote 0
Ya not having a flash is no issue.. Also a flash like the iphone4 has does nothing really.. the images are still really dark there are only a few phone that have a flash that works well.. but I don't miss having a flash at all.. the Captivate is an amazing phone I have flashed so manny different Roms.. their is so much 3rd party support for the Samsung S phones.

I would stay away form bell's version for now as some have shipped with bad internal SD memory. this is not the case with the Captivate and the version of the Samsung S that Tellus has as well. just Bell got the bad batch..

Upvote 0
So I'm stuck on contract with Rogers for another almost 2 years. I'm currently having a rooted Magic running Froyo but considering buying a decent new generation Android phone for a full price.

Save your money.

The Nexus S does not have an external SD slot. If there was one, that would be my choice. Double check the frequencies, I do not believe it is fully supported on the Rogers Network for now.

Upvote 0

I would not go back to Rogers. So many better wireless options now.

Example:
Mobilicity - Nexus One $500 - Unlimited Data for $10 on top of Voice plan.

Treat your phone like a mini computer, you should be able to control what you do with your phone, not your carrier.

Upvote 0
Save your money.

The Nexus S does not have an external SD slot. If there was one, that would be my choice. Double check the frequencies, I do not believe it is fully supported on the Rogers Network for now.

Not having an SD slot is a nuisance for me but not a showstopper. The S is confirmed coming to Canada in March so this will be one of my options.

Upvote 0
I would not go back to Rogers. So many better wireless options now.

Example:
Mobilicity - Nexus One $500 - Unlimited Data for $10 on top of Voice plan.

Treat your phone like a mini computer, you should be able to control what you do with your phone, not your carrier.

I'm stuck on a contract with Rogers till fall 2012. I don't consider breaking out of the contract as I like Rogers coverage. I just want a better phone.
Right now my two main options are Nexus S and Desire HD.

Upvote 0

Any Bell and Telus phone will work on Rogers fine if its an hspa phone. Idk where you got your info. The big 3 all use 850/1900 for 3g bands

Upvote 0
Ive been with rogers for a few years now,and I was paying about $95/month for my bill. That includes unlimited evenings and weekends from 6pm,2500txt msgs,voice mail,call waiting etc,200 anytime minutes,and 6gb of data.

Then a promotional offer came up at my work from bell,which was a fair price and such. So I called rogers and told them about the bell plan,So now I pay $62.00/month with all the same features.I also had to sign another 3 year contract with them. I also got a free upgrade which I havent used yet cause Im waiting for a better phone to come out.
I was using the magic for a year and a half now,but i got bored of it.
Im using a rooted X10 on foroyo and its a 100 times better than the magic. I paid $280 for the X10 with a 16gb card all brand new off kijijiji.
I sold the Magic for $150....

I dont really know where Im going with this story,I think Im recommending the X10 for now,and try having your plan reduced. I was gonna sell the X10 when a better phone comes out,but I keep it as a back up.

Upvote 0
Ive been with rogers for a few years now,and I was paying about $95/month for my bill. That includes unlimited evenings and weekends from 6pm,2500txt msgs,voice mail,call waiting etc,200 anytime minutes,and 6gb of data.

Then a promotional offer came up at my work from bell,which was a fair price and such. So I called rogers and told them about the bell plan,So now I pay $62.00/month with all the same features.I also had to sign another 3 year contract with them. I also got a free upgrade which I havent used yet cause Im waiting for a better phone to come out.
I was using the magic for a year and a half now,but i got bored of it.
Im using a rooted X10 on foroyo and its a 100 times better than the magic. I paid $280 for the X10 with a 16gb card all brand new off kijijiji.
I sold the Magic for $150....

I dont really know where Im going with this story,I think Im recommending the X10 for now,and try having your plan reduced. I was gonna sell the X10 when a better phone comes out,but I keep it as a back up.
Thanks, man. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I have considered X10 in the past but at this point with such phones as HTC Desire HD and Nexus S out it's not an option anymore. Right now Rogers simply doesn't have a phone that I'd be interested in. This is why I decided to bite the bullet and get a decent phone for a full price. Btw thank you for the suggestion about kijiji, I will give it a try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones