• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade Time!

I'm ready to upgrade my Hero too. My biggest problem with it is that I've maxed out my memory to the point that I can't really do anything without first deleting something else. I definitely have no need for a phone with a keyboard and I hate the size/weight of the Evo so I've been waiting patiently for something better. I really think the Nexus S 4G might be what I've been waiting for. Hopefully its available soon!

Upvote 0
If your not rooted, why not give that a shot until the latest phone comes out.

I'm ready to upgrade my Hero too. My biggest problem with it is that I've maxed out my memory to the point that I can't really do anything without first deleting something else. I definitely have no need for a phone with a keyboard and I hate the size/weight of the Evo so I've been waiting patiently for something better. I really think the Nexus S 4G might be what I've been waiting for. Hopefully its available soon!

Upvote 0
I'm actually not rooted but rooting alone wouldn't fix my issues anyway, maybe if I rooted and did apps2SD plus got a bigger SD card, but the official release date for the Nexus S was announced today, May 8, so its not really that long to wait

IMO - Root - Flash 2.3.3 - Marvel at your additional space with apps2 -
Stare in amazement at your speed - with the new PRL update - My Hero is FLYING!!!!!

KICK YOURSELF FOR NOT DOING THIS MONTHS AGO.

Hold off to see what works better Nexus S 4g or evo3d

You really have nothing to lose at this point.....

Upvote 0
+100 ^^^^^ Nothing to loose, IMO

Stare in amazement at your speed - with the new PRL update - My Hero is FLYING!!!!!

Upvote 0
I might be getting my wife a used Sprint HTC Hero to tied her over until we can upgrade in December. She is getting tired of her Sprint Palm Pre and is jealous of the Android ecosystem. She said she would even let me root her handset so that she could take full advantage of it. So, I am totally on board for that. :D

I will probably be looking around for a used Sprint HTC Hero eBay and Craigslist. I just want to make sure that it is in good shape and has a valid ESN. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't really think I'm interested in the Evo 3D, just too big and heavy for me

Upvote 0
I was able to upgrade early...went with the Samsung Epic 4G because I wanted the physical keyboard. I am really happy with it...it's weird not having to worry about have a phone that's too slow and can't do Flash 10.2 anymore. My only gripe is the phone is a little thick, but that's expected because of the keyboard.

Farewell to all of you and thanks for your tips...perhaps I'll see some of you over in the Epic forums!

Upvote 0
May have not made a difference, there are talks between TMobile and Sprint on a merger, don't know how serious it is, but they were talking last I heard

Sprint let me ditch my Hero, and upgrade to the shift 45 days before I was eligible for an upgrade. I'm very grateful for that. Had things not worked in my favor I was prepared to drop Sprint/ Nextel all together after 13 yrs & go too T- mobile.

Upvote 0
May have not made a difference, there are talks between TMobile and Sprint on a merger, don't know how serious it is, but they were talking last I heard

Didn't At&t just but T-Mobile?:thinking: Why would T-Mobile go and buy Sprint? Not sure about this one DonB:p

On a side note, since I did upgrade to the Evo in February. For all of you hero owners planning on moving up to the Evo 3D, all I can say is wow. :D:D Sense 3.0 and gingerbread is quite nice. That's if you're a sense fan:cool: Virus over in the Evo forums on xda has ported the leaked Evo 3D rom to the original Evo. Still early but everything is working so far just need to squash a few things. :D

Upvote 0
I didn't say T Mobile was buying Sprint, I simply said they were talking about a merger, I saw that on MSNBC a month ago when they were talking about cellular companies, a lot of times it is simple speculation

Didn't At&t just but T-Mobile?:thinking: Why would T-Mobile go and buy Sprint? Not sure about this one DonB:p

Upvote 0
I didn't say T Mobile was buying Sprint, I simply said they were talking about a merger, I saw that on MSNBC a month ago when they were talking about cellular companies, a lot of times it is simple speculation

Yeah, the talks fell through. That is why AT&T Wireless is buying T-Mobile.

The technologies mesh better anyway, what with both being GSM and all. Verizon Wireless also remarked that they are not interested in pursuing a merger with Sprint.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
^ above pending SEC approval....Doubtful...Hello MONOPOLY....

Upgrade june 15th.....waiting Patiently to play with the evo3d - then decide to go that route or nexus s 4g

Yeah, it is pending SEC approval. We will see if it goes through.

I am bypassing the Sprint Nexus S 4G for the Sprint HTC EVO 3D. I do not care for the lack of no microSD card and no LED notifications. Yes, I know you can make the buttons at the bottom become your "LED notifications" but it is a hassle that I would rather avoid. Bring on the Sprint HTC EVO 3D.

Upvote 0
^ above pending SEC approval....Doubtful...Hello MONOPOLY....

Not trying to be a jerk, but how would the AT&T/T-Mobile merger make a monopoly? By the very definition of the word, it wouldn't because you'd still have Sprint, Verizon and a handful of smaller carriers out there.

So calling it a MONOpoly would be incorrect.

I'm betting the SEC allows it. Look at the Sirius/XM merger, which made a true MONOpoly....they let that one happen!

Upvote 0
^ Jeez Someone is being a Jerk.....

Monopoly - was not MY word....Sprint's Legal Dogs tossed it out there.
I believe referencing the Size and Brute Strength this would give At&t. Making it Difficult for sprint or smaller regional carriers to compete.

Sirius/Xm - yes allowed...but who contested it. Wasn't like there were a bunch of smaller Satellite radio carriers out there...

Don/LBP - I am Torn - only 16gb in nexus s....but I only have 8 in HeroC....
evo3d WOWZER.......
Newest rumor is the that htc Kingdom is not the evo3d but instead the HERO 4G.....
WE SHALL SEE!!!!!

Upvote 0
It will definitely be an interesting few months, lets see who wins us over, so far EVO 3D for me but I am still open and can be persuaded :cool:

Don/LBP - I am Torn - only 16gb in nexus s....but I only have 8 in HeroC....
evo3d WOWZER.......
Newest rumor is the that htc Kingdom is not the evo3d but instead the HERO 4G.....
WE SHALL SEE!!!!!

Upvote 0
It will definitely be an interesting few months, lets see who wins us over, so far EVO 3D for me but I am still open and can be persuaded :cool:

I hope that we all end up in the Sprint HTC EVO 3D forum together. We can continue our reign of helpfulness here and there. :)

The only thing that even slightly bums me out about the Sprint HTC EVO 3D is the 5 megapixel cameras, but megapixel count is not everything. I hear the CMOS on these cameras let in twice the light for better snapshots in low light situations. :cool:

Upvote 0
^ Jeez Someone is being a Jerk.....

Monopoly - was not MY word....Sprint's Legal Dogs tossed it out there.
I believe referencing the Size and Brute Strength this would give At&t. Making it Difficult for sprint or smaller regional carriers to compete.

Then perhaps Sprint's lawyers need to go back to school and re-learn the definition of "monopoly." :)

Also, Sprint could always merge with Verizon to compete. Kinda reminds me of the old Transformer cartoons where the robots would combine to beat the other giant robot, lol.

Upvote 0
I agree and have heard the same thing

The only thing that even slightly bums me out about the Sprint HTC EVO 3D is the 5 megapixel cameras, but megapixel count is not everything. I hear the CMOS on these cameras let in twice the light for better snapshots in low light situations. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones